View Single Post
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM       
Final Fantasy 5!

I've played this before (although not very far, about to the desert) but I never realized just how badly you could break the game if you picked the right classes. I never thought to touch Monk because Blackbelts were awful in FF1, but here they hit twice for decent damage (200 total on a good day), get a freebie counter attack about half the time when something hits them, and have a move called Buildup that doubles their damage pretty much for free; the attacks you get from this can crit on top of that, and Monks crit a lot, so by the time I got to the third boss I accidentally one-shot it with a 192/400 damage attack. I think it had like 575 health.

This is not mentioning how you can level your mage classes up further than they'll need to be for like 5 hours in the very first dungeon, then turn them into paladins or thiefwizards or whatever. And Blue Magic is, as always, a freight train with a cowcatcher made out of chainsaws.

I don't know why, but I always get immense satisfaction from breaking JRPGs like this. I think it's the main reason I liked FF8.