View Single Post
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM       
Whoa this changes everything

EDIT: okay, besides the sarcasm because you probably really ment that and think it was correct. In a (fairly generic and probably full of holes) nutshell: There's instinctual directives that exist in animals, mainly urging them to create progeny, protect it, protect themselves, exert control and dominance over their immediate surroundings, and so on. Life exerting control, natural selection, you know the drill. Don't ask me why, take your pick: because god intended it to be so, or because QM infinite fault emulation led to such a progressive universe randomly, because there's a universal design of non-deific origin, whatever. I don't really bother with ontology and 'the big start of everything' anymore.

As animals, we also have these instinctual directives, and we're urged to fulfill them as we can via our biochemistry (read: base feelings). There is nothing 'cultural' about the fear of death, the need to procreate and the avoidance of danger. In fact, culture is built around these primordial urges, fortifying their recurrence. It is those cultural fortifications that, through time transmutate into different shades (of essentially the same thing) as you correctly suggest, not the basic instinctual drives, which remain the same and unaltered. The way I deal with the fact that I get hard-ons and desire to make Helm babies might change, the mating rituals I have to go through might change, but the hard-on is ever-present through time.

All this is a completely different topic and thread, and if you feel like persuing it, make it and I'm there. Right here though, the point is to make OAO feel stupid