View Single Post
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:29 PM        Re: Alternatives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Would it be slanderous of me to alternatively point out that while it's true that the Coke factory may have put the squeeze on the local thriving coconut and rice industry, it has no doubt provided a substantial number of decent paying jobs for those same locals?

I think Senor Chimp was only half kidding. Mr. Coconut farmer would likely make in a week at the factory what he would have earned from his annual haul of ripe, moist coconuts. Take the factory away so the rice growers can be prospersous again. And then you can post another article about how an evil American corporation sent hundreds of local workers back into poverty by shutting down its plant. That would be swell.
Quote:
Demonstrators took no notice. Local council tax records, they said, showed that there are only 134 permanent staff at the plant. Indeed, some of the protesters had once worked there but quit. "'I used to get terrible headaches working there," Saraswathi Kaliappan, 38, who worked as a bottle washer for two years, said. Conditions were so poor she claimed she wouldn't go back if the pay was doubled.
Next time, try READING THE FUCKING ARTICLE before you post your inane comments!