View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708
If you honestly are so taken away by Churchhill's essay then thats your problem. Its poorly written and he makes several bad analogies which in my opinion will cause lots of people to dismiss it. I wonder if he really hates capitalism or he is like Moore and thinks capitalism is evil but reaps in the tremendous benefits of it. I mean I bet more people have read his article in the past week than in the past three years. He is probaly happy and selling tons of his other books. I'm sorry I may come off as one sided but I am trying to defend the U.S.(without approving of everything in our history).
I missed this bit before, but you're totally right. As I failed to make clear, I hadn't read the essay before Brandon posted a link, and responded before giving it a very thorough read. There are many much BETTER authors who more eloquently state the message against our corruption of capitolism and imperialistic behavior like Gore Vidal or Chomsky or heck, even Al Franken - this guy is pretty weak. BUT I don't think it right for an elected official to call the man treasonous and push for his dismissal because of what he wrote.

Also, since you mentioned it, I think you mischaracterize Moore when you say he "hates capitalism." One can hate the sleazy things our big corporations do without hating free enterprise. It's not such a stretch.