View Single Post
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Ya, every major military does that. ITs more an acedemic excersice than anything else.
I don't think it's as "acadaemic" as you might think. These types of plans are up to the minute and backed up by satellite, aircraft recon, on-site intelligence, ect. When I was at Fort Bragg, I was part of an 110% allocated unit. That means that we were over-allocated in terms of soldiers, equipment, ammunition, ect. The purpose of that is, in case we had to deploy, we didn't have to wait for anyone on leave, training elsewhere, ect. We also didn't have to worry whether we had enough resources at any given time. We were constantly updating our personnel files, wills, medical records, shots, finances ect. so that kind of administrative thing wouldn't hold us up when we're ready to move. Adding to that, we alway had our duffels more than half-packed and just had to throw in a few last things when the time came. Adding all this up, this leads to a unit that supposed to be ready to go (with all the last kisses) within a 24-36 hour window ... and we were just the average GIs. Some of the specialty units had an even narrower window. If you knew all the logistics involved, I think that you might be a little impressed. I'm not trying to over-exaggerate or pump up the Army image (I could care less, really). I'm just trying to give an accurate portrayal. While we do train overseas, there is a purpose ... that purpose being to be able to move quickly in a "real world" sense and not an "academic" sense.

Wherever you go, there you are.