View Single Post
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM       
My apologies, you are right that the IP layer would not do any prioritizing. I was thinking of the scenario when both computers attempt to send a transmission at the same time and a collision occurs. As you know, the packets are processed in series, but they might not always arrive in series if two terminals try to start a connection at the same time. In that case, the IP layer will have to make a decision about who will go first, and I don't know how that decision is made. So I was calling that "prioritizing", but really that refers to something else... my bad.

Regardless, it doesn't make sense for one person to get more bandwidth than the other in the scenario that is described. I think the next thing we should do to diagnose this problem is to look at the network traffic. A network analyzer would work really well here.

I mentioned Ethereal before, but it has actually changed names to Wireshark. He can use that to capture packets on his network, and then maybe we can determine what is going on. What do you think, MetalMilitia?

Last edited by Archduke Tips : Mar 21st, 2008 at 02:35 PM.