View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:42 PM       
While you are far more mentally intact than Vinth could ever hope to be, you committed a serious Vinthism.

"How many of you Oh So Concerned and Sensitive citizens actually donate your own money to charities that protect old people from Financial Death due to their age? I see no hands being raised. "

You answered your own question. You need to wait. You know what happens when you assume.

I donate time helping veterans navigate the VA. Time I could be working. That's money. I help them get services from the government. I help them make appointments, get to appointments, acquire and fill out the correct paperwork. Some of them re homeless, so I guess I'm not dooing anything for their financial health. But some of them have small, restricted incomes.

Now, I dislike the baby boomers as much as anyone. I'm not in their socio economic cohort, and I'm not in the next one either. I fall between the two. I see the Baby Boomers as a locust horde who never gve a crapola about anyone but themselves and only give a shit about the elderly now that they're getting elderly.

But do I think that means it's okay for them to suffer? No. I'm anti suffering, even when people bring it on themselves. Do I think society can end suffering? Of course not. But I think we should look after each other as best we can. Like the farmers, or the father of the Prodigal Son.

Now I can totally see why some people disagree. But I don't get why it causes some people to fly into a rage. Vinth will tell you I'm a communist. That's just becuase he doesn't understand many political terms very well. I'm for advocating for the passage of laws, arrived at through representative democracy, that create and maintain a reasonable safety net. I'm also for abidding by existing law while working to change it. That's how I excercise my citizenship.