View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM       
Wow. Nicely put.

I've experienced the same sort of dichotomy between happiness and "eudaimonia" (though I never knew it was called this), and I agree wholeheartedly that they are very different. I spent most of my first 2 years of college feeling isolated, depressed and damn near suicidal, yet I also found time to listen to other people's problems, and try to make them feel better about themselves. This kept me going when I was at my bleakest, and your post neatly explains, if not psychologically then philsophically, why this was the case.

In addition to Aristotle, most of the classic religious texts will say much the same thing, albeit steeped in faith and worshipful rhetoric. Generally being nice to others is a good thing, and one for which you should strive. This also sounds a lot like another philosophy text I once read (I think in high school, maybe Locke?). If I may be so cliche, it also resembles Trek - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one". God, I'm such a nerd.

Being happy only satisfies one aspect of my life - aspiring to be virtuous (simplifying that Greek word that I couldn't pronounce on a bet) can and does satisfy many more.

If it was up to me, you could post philosophy topics on this forum any time. Peace.
You may already be there.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: checked spelling and grammar