View Single Post
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular View Post
...Okay, not quite, but is anyone following this story? One of his former supporters, Morgan Tsvangirai, tried to run for President against him. Tsvangirai actually did well against Mugabe, but Mugabe basically scared Tsvangirai out of further campaigning (and that's the story in short...I'll admit my knowledge of this is sketchy), as well as having a farce of a run-off election. Mugabe had his "inauguration" a few days ago, and now people are telling him to step down.
This is kinda a big story outside of the US that has been running all year. Tsvangirai did very well in the original election as he won it, but the Mugabe regime refused to release the vote count. Mugabe scared Tsvangirai into pulling out of the race? Family, friends and supporters of the MDC party were murdered, tortured and imprisoned. As well as noting that the election couldn't be free or fair, Tsvangirai hoped to end the attacks, but such violence continues even after the 'declared' end to elections. The calls for external interference came from Tsvangirai, who I personally view as the true democraticaly elected leader of Zimbabwe. Of course, I think the same of Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma.

The irony is that former Prime Minister of Rhodesia Ian Smith was right that black rule wouldn't help the plight of it's people.