Thread: Bioshock
View Single Post
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM       
My main problem with Bioshock was how after about an hour I could predict every single level to go like this:

ALL ROIGHT, BOYO, YA FOUND THA ELEVATOR, TOYME TA KILL ROYAN

LARGE EXPLOSION

GODDAMN SPLOICERS! WOULD YA KOINDLY FOIND A WAY AROUND

System Shock 2 pulled this shit all the time, too - it took me 4 hours to complete virtually the first objective I'd been given - but at least it was a little creative with it. Like, say, a parasitic network of fungi had implanted themselves within the elevator shaft, and I'd have to run all over the hydraulics deck trying to find neurotoxins to kill it with.

Now that I think about it, I hate System Shock 2 almost as much as Bioshock, except Bioshock has the taint of not being original with anything; same basic plot structure, same retarded fetch quests, same audio logs and ghost sequences, etc. It even falls completely apart in the last hour or so and has an idiotic, nonsensical ending.

Bioshock's just way, way stupider since there are pretty much no RPG elements and everything is retardedly simplistic. Also, In System Shock 2, if you ran out of Hypos in the middle of a fight and died because of it, there was pretty much no way in hell you could keep playing after restarting in the Vita Chambers, since you'd keep dying against whatever killed you and you'd run out of money sooner or later. I usually just reverted to an earlier save if I died, it was way less of a hassle.

In Bioshock, I killed an Elite Bouncer with a wrench and fire. It cost nothing, except about 5 minutes of my time.