View Single Post
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM       
First off I would like to say I think blinding is cruel and unusual. Im all for locking real criminals up while reserving the right to kill the truly deserving. (Capital punishment has its own thread and if you want to talk about that go there.)

As far as punishments being a deterrent of crime thought... I think burning his eyes with acid does more to deter future acid attacks than throwing him in prison. How does it not? If so much as one person thinks "Oh damn. I dont my eyes burned out with acid, I better not do that." Then it has accomplished its goal. You could say Throwing him in prison will have the same effect from a more peaceful resolution but how many people will think "Whats the worst that will happen? They throw me in jail?". Also consider how much violence will spread in prison because of that guy. I dont know what the Iranian prison system is like, this conversation is kind of in general terms anyway, but how many fights will he get into with other prisoners? Or with the guards?
Its not exactly fair to compare any other country to Americas prison system, that needs to be drastically changed, but it usually produces a more violent criminal more often than it releases a rehabilitated one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
I don't think justice is about fairness, and I don't think it should be... but if it were about fairness, then yes, the guy would have a bucket of acid splashed in his face.
Just out of curiosity, what is justive about to you Z? Im not trying to undermine your arguments with this or anything, I honestly want to know. If justice isnt about fairness then what is it about?