Thread: Haiti
View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post
I agree colonel flagg. However, don't you know that you aren't allowed to suggest solutions to the world's problems when discussing the world's problems! Come on!
Can I just say that I find this statement confusing without you blowing a gasket?

Yes, I am a believer in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs: you need the basics of food, water, shelter and medical care before you can advance to any higher-order functioning, such as education, or infrastrucure. And those individuals experiencing this horrendous tragedy are in desperate need of those basics. However, the immediate aid in disasters of this magnitude is usually of this ilk - food, potable water, medical care and temporary shelter. After the immediate needs are met .... well, this is where governments and individuals tend to get confused. Keep helping, and you can create another welfare state; leave too soon, and the status quo will return, and things won't get better.

So yes, I suggest a solution. It's not easy or straightforward, and it will take time that no one has, or would like to commit, but there you go. For this I make no apologies.

Peace OUT.
You may already be there.