Thread: Smoothing clay
View Single Post
Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM        Smoothing clay
Hi, I'm not sure where else to post this and didn't see any threads where this would have been addressed, but...

I'm having a really rough time with smoothing oil-based clay. The usual mineral oil that you'd use on a stiff synthetic brush is depositing tiny balls of clay, almost like little shavings, all over the surface of whatever I'm working on. The softer it gets with added oil, the worse this phenomenon becomes. I think the main cause of it is that the softened clay is clogging the brush, and the clay is kind of chalky and has a tendency to separate because there's not enough binder in it at the chemical level.

It didn't used to do any of this but the formula of the clay has changed over the years (Van Aken Plastalina) and it doesn't react the same way to the oil as it used to because of ingredients that have changed and the chemicals in the pigments (which used to be toxic) now have to meet certain health standards in order to retain the "non toxic" rating.

I also have a question about making clay that's too soft more firm, anyone know? If you can help me with it I'll sculpt you something.