Thread: getting a mac
View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
Immortal Goat: Thanks. I've heard of GarageBand but for the type of stuff I'm into I'm probably gonna want to use Cubase. It's good that there's actually something like that available 'out of the box' though. Macs seem to come with a lot of software that is actually useful.
Garageband's main feature is its integrated amp simulator, but it's far from a good sequencing program. Cubase is cross-platform software. Logic is mac-only (and basically 'the rest' of GarageBand), and Cakewalk is pc-only (the big 3 sequencers). Logic is generally considered to be the best of the 3, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Yeah, one of the reasons that they are bashed is because of the "lack of software", but the simple fact of the matter is that you can't buy software for them because it comes standard on it.
This is not true at all. I mean, not even close, are you just repeating shit Apple store clerks were telling you?

There are a lot of solid reasons to get a mac, but no-one has really mentioned any of them: Most major audio applications are mac-native and therefore have less bugs. A handful of these apps are proprietary, though cross-platforming is becoming more common nowadays. The same goes for most graphic applications, and these things also tend to get updated faster than their PC counterparts. I've heard shit about macs like 'The colors are more real/accurate because of special mac pixel handling!' This is complete bullshit. However, Mac monitors in general are way higher quality than the lion's share of regular ones (of course, you can use a mac monitor on anything).

In the audio world, studios tend to get Macs and live sound techs tend to get PCs. Tons of PA calibrating software is PC-only. Generally, this is because of tradition and because PC laptops tend to be cheaper and more reliable. In studios, common perceptions of the people that come in have to be catered to, and it's expected that you have a Mac with Protools or you don't get taken seriously.

I personally dislike OS X intensely, though not as much as its predecessors. However, I'm sure that it has no more annoying quirks than Windows XP does - I'm just not used to my computer fucking up in the new and interesting ways that it proposes (at Sheffield, we were ALWAYS having problems with the macs mishandling file permissions, and the instructor had to keep rebuilding the permissions database). Macs also still seem to crash far more often than a well-maintained PC, though they do it in several languages.

Another plus for macs are its fanatic dedicated userbase, who generally go out of their way to be friendly and helpful to others in their cabal. Meaning, it shouldn't be too hard to find what you're looking for if you ask them.

Reading over this, it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, which was not my intention. I do know that I feel way more creative when working on a Mac, which can be directly attributed to its clean OS and pretty hardware.