View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
I did several years in graphics arts and have done quite a bit of design work. I did it all on a Mac. It sucked, because everytime you wanted to do something in Photoshop... oh no! Out of memory! Well, let's free up some memory then... oh no! The whole computer froze! Reboot it with that CTRL-Apple-whatever combination... nothing... hit the reset switch! There is no reset switch... hit the power button! It does nothing! The fucking power button does nothing! ARG!!!
I've never had to free up memory and I'm working daily on 4+GB photoshop files. Ctrl-apple-del is slightly less useful than ctrl-alt-del, and the G4s and newer all have reset buttons on them, so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about using OS X on a G3 when it first came out? OS 9 was rock solid stable, but maybe you had a unique gift for crashing it. If you're talking about how buggy OS X was at release, then you must be forgetting how rough the release of Win95 was. That shit goes on with any new OS architecture.

Quote:
Yes, it is weak when you say that "it looks better on the Mac" after it's had 4+ EXTRA YEARS OF WORK DONE ON IT.
My bad, I didn't realize Myst was 5 years old when I first played it on a relative's Mac. Oh well. But my argument would still stand even if it looked EXACTLY THE SAME on a Mac, if that were what the buyer were interested in!

Quote:
Oh, what's that? You want to exclude games from the argument? Too bad. Excluding games to try to prove your side of the argument is like having someone explain creationism but forbidding them to mention God.
Um, what? Games are not the ultimate use of computers for a LOT of people. In fact, very often when someone is asking for advice on a computer to buy, they'll say "I don't play many games". Gamers go for PCs. I have a PC for gaming, and I wouldn't ever buy a Mac for gaming. That's not to say you don't ahve some gaming options on a Mac.

World of Warcraft, for example, was developed simultaneously for Macs and PCs.

Quote:
If I suddenly started hating Office, I could switch to any number of products that are available. What are you left with on a Mac? AppleWorks or the default text editor.
How bout Open Office? Also, with OS X's FreeBSD base, you'll only see more and more of those wonderful open source Linux apps in OS X packages.

Quote:
If Macs weren't vulnerable, why are you recommended to get anti-virus software? You don't get viruses if you're not stupid about your computer.
It doesn't matter whether you're fucking crack whores or just your average college slut, you should still wear a condom. Get the analogy?

It all boils down to what you want to do with the machine, whether you have any past computer experience, and, yes, what the thing looks like (which is VERY important for someone who keeps it turned off most of the time!).