Thread: steak tartare
View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
i.e. grind your own meat like a man.
My vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
I had some (made with hamburger) served to me on a toasted bagel at a party. It could be because I'm more or less vegetarian, but I gagged. Couldn't take it, especially from an unknown source.
Kit, you handled it better than I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
The problem with ground beef is that the friction of the grinding raises temps and introduces a lot of oxygen, or so I've read, and that ups the bacteria. You don't run into that with steak because the temperature and exposure to oxygen are consistent before use.
You're right on the exposure to oxygen and the increased temperature. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that even though you get a "Best By:" date on the package, you never really know WHEN the meat was actually ground. Nor do you know how long the meat was at ambient (or higher?) temperatures prior to, during and after grinding, or at anytime thereafter (Say it takes you a little longer than normal to get back home after shopping ...).

We just took a food safety training class at work, and it scared me shitless about eating raw ANYTHING.
You may already be there.