Thread: IRAN
View Single Post
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
Preechr, just to understand your point better, are you trying to argue that terrorism is economic in nature?
Umm... yeah? Isn't everything?

Quote:
If that's so, why would men from wealthy families and Phd's strap bombs to themselves, or go live in caves?
Why indeed? It is fact, however, that your average suicide bomber is not an average dumbass. Look at the dumbasses you know personally. Doesn't it jibe? Morons blend in when times get tough. Those that strap on the bombs are generally the same breed as your average American college protester. I'm not saying they're the brightest bulb on the tree, but I will maintain that it takes a bit of a broader understanding of your world to commit to martyrdom.

Apply this train of thought. You went to college. Imagine going back to your hometown and being hit right in the face with the realization that there existed absolutely nothing for you to do from that point on.

American troops call these guys "wallers," as they are usually seen leaning up against something. They hang out in groups and they commiserate amongst themselves. They generally have families, as there's nothing else to do. It's only a matter of time before they start the process of substituting anything, even violence, for their frustration and lack of hope for the future.

Quote:
I do agree, again, if we're on the same page,that there are two kinds of globalization going on here. One is economic and encourages open markets, the other is religious and statist in nature.
Nope. Different pages. As I said above, it's all about the money. Economics trumps politics every time they meet in battle. It's quite cute to deploy the tactic of religion, but have you ever gotten to know a Muslim immigrant? You live in DC... Go to the grocery store and strike up a conversation. Mysticism and Nationalism are indeed powerful forces, but the history of the West shows us quite clearly that what matters most is most intimately affects our individual wallets. The only road to thinking their history will be any different runs through the swamp of believing they are all that different from us.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!