View Single Post
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:43 PM       
It amazes me that they don't include everything in those statistics. How many of those people lived around factories? Big cities? How many smoked themselves? In other words, I just believe that it's WRONG to say that secondhand smoke CAUSED 3,000 deaths, it's more correct to say that it CONTRIBUTED to 3,000 deaths. If someone's asthmatic, it's not completely safe but it is reasonable to say that that asthma might've one day killed you, but it was accelerated by secondhand smoke. Asthma was still the CAUSE of death, but secondhand smoke CONTRIBUTED. Or you might say that secondhand smoke contributed to giving you lung cancer, and the lung cancer was the CAUSE of death. But to nitpickers, to directly say that smoking CAUSES your death is presumptuous and it comes across like someone has an agenda to advance. It might not be good, no one will deny that, but to say it will kill you is a little rushed, and when people peruse these kind of things rather than read them and analyze them, they go out with this phobia of all secondhand smoke. That's when mistakes start being made, people get more militant, and suddenly we have smokanazis trying to pass all sorts of laws against it, when ALL THAT WAS NEEDED WAS A SIMPLE "Hey, I don't really care for smoke, man, would you mind putting it out for a little bit?"