View Single Post
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM       
When I was in Oregon, one of my coworkers had Tivo and a lot of us would buy beer and head over to his house after work to watch the UFC fights that he'd recorded. I was the only guy there who didn't really watch it regularly, so I was the only guy that wasn't pissed off by Lesnar sitting on top of someone and bludgeoning their skull into paste.

The whole "not paying his dues" thing was the exact same argument that the guys used to explain why they hated the shit out of Jeff Gordon, something that I was more curious about (I don't understand why Nascar is interesting in the first place, let alone why Jeff Gordon is despised. At least UFC is fun to watch.)

Seems to me that fans keep rooting for their guys through the highs and the lows in hopes that they finally get a great performance streak, relying on this possibility to justify WHY they like these guys. Seems to me that new competitors jumping into an established event and dominating the hell out of it is simply bound to enrage the fans who support more experienced (and now, proven inferior) competitors