View Single Post
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo_rob View Post
It just blows my mind that professional gamers make a living just by playing video games. It's like, shit man... I'm pretty good at Altered Beast, can I get paid?
You can't make a living, far as I know. Maybe the SF4 scene is different but even if every tournament you went to had 50 people with a $10 entry fee, that's only $500 to be split between at least three people. On top of that, even if this did happen every week, that means that the player would have to win every single event without fail, and even then you'd only make, what, $800 - $1200 bucks?

Quote:
One thing I don't understand is, the second video. What's up with the whole east vs west coast theme? Most fighting game people I see are usually the anime fan types.
There's always been an east coast v. west coast thing, in just about everything. From what I've seen EC is usually better, if only by a bit.

Quote:
Wait, that dude charges people to play him in SF4? Wow, ego check time. I mean, who is paying? If they are dumb enough to pay him, then that's one thing. However is he sitting at some bowling alley waiting by the Street Fighter machine waiting for a challenger? Then tells the dude he has to pay him $20? So either the dude then pushes him out of the way and plays the game anyway, or security kicks him out. Or some 8 year old beats him by pushing the same button over and over again.
I honestly think people would be willing to pay the guy. He's the best 2D fighting game player in the US, second best in the world and with this big of a fanbase, I'd imagine people wouldn't mind shelling out cash if they think it can help their chances down the road.

Why is he doing it? Probably because you really can't make a living on this kind of stuff, which is why I'm just surprised people take it so seriously, I guess. It's not like this is Starcraft in Korea or anything, you're not sponsored players at pretty much any level

I think the guy in the first video, gootecks, talks about making a living off it just because he has so many endeavors on the side that I guess he makes money off those? Maybe? And he wins tournaments? I don't know.

f*ck u tadao