View Single Post

Psycho Squid is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:20 PM       
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that missed it. I read some of the reviews of TNN's "adult" cartoons and they are a lot more worse than I thought they were going to be. I think this review pretty much sums up what you can expect from Ren and Stimpy's new show:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...threadid=79806
Quote:
REN AND STIMPY ADULT PARTY CARTOON
Let’s get this out of the way first. This is easily the worst animated series to come along in quite awhile. In fact, I can’t think of anything worse than this. Baby Looney Tunes? Innocent and saccharine, but it’s a preschool show. Rugrats Go Wild? I haven’t personally seen it, but at least it has a plot, unlike this.

The episode’s “plot,” if you can call it that, centers on Ren and Stimpy moving from their residence in a hobo’s mouth to their new residence—as Ren calls it, “living the high life”-- in a bar spittoon. First off, the basic plot makes no sense… hobo’s mouth? Spittoon? These locations are supposed to be funny? They scream “we’re being adult just because we can!!” instead of providing any comedic value.

It gets worse from there. The Hobo’s Mouth scenes take much longer than they should, and they present the first basic problem of the show. It’s a strung-together succession of body humor jokes. Actually, it’s too much to even call them “jokes.” In one scene, the uvula in the hobo’s mouth penetrates Ren’s butt. Instead of doing something even with that basic, if tasteless idea, the animators chose to just repeat that visual several times, getting successively worse with each penetration. It was almost as if the makers were shouting, “HE’S GETTING IT UP THE REAR! LAUGH!!! LAUGH, DAMN YOU!!!”

It continues in this vein. Nearly every joke involves a bodily function of some sort, and each is presented in the same “WE’RE SHOWING SOMETHING GROSS!!!! IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!!!” way. No subtlety, no modicum of humor.

This brings up another problem. This episode was 30 minutes, but seemed to go on for hours. The pacing was glacially slow, the jokes were not funny, and as stated before, there was no plot or coherency.

Voice acting wise, John K is also off on his voice of Ren. Suddenly he sounds vaguely Indian, although his performance is okay. The new voice actor for Stimpy, however, was horrible. All of Billy West’s charming stupidity has gone… now Stimpy is just a clueless, annoying idiot. Music is still the canned library music that the original used, and the theme is actually the exact same as used on the original show, only with a new title card. It could have been nice if they had at least composed a new title sequence.

Is it as bad as everyone is making it out to be? No, it’s worse. It is one of the worst animated series ever created. It is honestly a pain to watch and I was overjoyed when it went to break and when the credits began to roll.

You have better things to do in thirty minutes than give it up to watch this crap. Stay away. Stay far, far away from this steaming pile, and just laugh as the self-proclaimed “master of animation”, John Kricfalusi, stands revealed without clothing.
They also got reviews of Gary the Rat and Stripperella if anyone cares.