View Single Post

killingzoe is probably a spambot
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
here is an article I read about the interview

Solent News

Michael Jackson ’mania’ has rocketed after his controversial TV interview - with record stores reporting one thousand percent increases in his album sales.
In many music shops across Britain it was impossible to get a copy of the troubled superstar’s ’Thriller’ album as copies flew out of shops.
Record store bosses branded the sudden demand for Wacko Jacko’s music as ’a comeback like nothing we have seen before’.
The startling sales figures were released today among rumours that Jackson’s record company may re-release some of his classic hits.
HMV spokesman, Gennaro Castaldo, said the massive increase in sales of Jackson’s albums was ’utterly remarkable’.
He said: “These albums are flying out of our music stores nationwide.
“To give you some idea of how crazy it is, we have seen a 1,000 percent increase in Jackson’s ’Greatest Hits Volume 1’ album this week.
“Sales of his ’Thriller’ album increased by 500 per cent just on Tuesday alone - the day after Jackson’s documentary was aired.
“So controversial as he might be, Michael Jackson’s career is now storming. People were clearly moved by his interview.
“I would expect him to use this interest as a platform to relaunch his career and for his record company to re-release his albums.”
At Our Price record shop, at Southampton, Hants, sales assistants have been forced to order in extra copies of Jackson’s hits due to demand.
Manager, Attila Sumer said: “We didn’t sell many of his records at all before the interview on Monday - but now we have sold out.
“We are having to order in many more copies to meet the demand. I guess people have now realised how great Jackson’s music was.
“There were quite a lot of Jackson’s hits played in the TV programme and I suppose that has prompted the sudden craze to buy his records.”
And at Andy’s Records at Colchester, manager Andy Crick said there was a ’crazy’ sudden demand for Jackson’s music.
Mr Crick said: “It’s a comeback like nothing we’ve really seen before.
“Normally we only sell one or two Michael Jackson albums a week - but yesterday we sold out. It’s totally crazy.
“Michael Jackson may have come across as a bit of a freak but his music is hot. If only he gave more interviews like this one.
Fopp Records in Aberdeen report a 100 per cent increase in purchases of Jackson 5 greatest hits albums.
Manager Stephen Carr, said: “I think the show has definitely had a big impact on our Michael Jackson record sales.
“The morning after the show we had a steady stream of people coming in to buy his older stuff like the Jackson 5.
“We have seen a 100 per cent increase in the number of their greatest hits albums sold.”
The massive increase in demand for Michael Jackson’s music follows the TV screening of his interview with journalist Martin Bashir.