View Single Post
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM       
Well, as for my cartoon, I have complete creative control (as long as it's not obscene or ridiculously offensive). My only actual job is to have a cartoon done by deadline. Of course, I love drawing for the paper, so I'll always do illustrations and what not if they need it. As far as I'm concerned, what I need to be doing right now is commission work. It's not like any real paper will let me draw for them right now, so I might as well bust my ass for the college paper while I have the chance.

As for publishing, we do one to two issues per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
this year, we've only got eight on staff. last year was my first here, and last year's staff was used to doing nothing for a grade. so when i came in and insisted they get off their lazy butts or fail or get referred to the office, they bucked. needless to say, all but a few opted for other classes this year.
Heh. You teach a high school class, right? I first joined journalism my Junior year, and the class was awesome. It was chock full of every person that I would want to hang out with, the editors were damned good, everyone was enthusiastic, and the advisor was pretty relaxed (until I single handedly enraged the entire Associated Student Body, but that's a long story).

Then my senior year, I was going to take a web design class, until the journalism advisor (also a good friend of mine) called me up and basically ordered me to sign up for another year in journalism. Only two people had re-enrolled and the rest of the class was filled with lazyass freshmen. So, I basically ended up as staffer/writer/business manager/associate editor for a paper where I had to harrangue the freshmen until they wrote something. It sucked.

You'll have good years and bad years, the only advice I can really give is to actively recruit tough editors, so you're not fielding everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
i'm working on building the staff for next year, but a big drawback for students is the amount of writing it requires. it would be nice to have a large-enough staff to have some students who are solely illustrators or photographers or graphic designers. maybe eventually.

it's a newsmagazine format, and we publish once per six weeks. (well, this year, they didn't get anything done while i was on maternity leave, so we've still got four issues to put out...advertisers, you know...)

sorry to go on and on, but it's on my mind atm.
You know, I need commission work and experience. If you need an illustrator, I'd be more than happy to work for you in exchange for the resume filler that I desperately need (info about the paper and school, maybe listing you as a reference, etc).