View Single Post
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM       
Quote:
What makes you think that humans could deal with any of your proposals psychologically or biologicallly? I find the idea of a cramped spaceship infinintely less scary than being made into a Borg.
I'm not necessarily proposing us becoming BORG, we might still have some FUN. Anyway, in this view you could argue that any type of utopian society would be Borgeseque :L( just with slightly different values. But really, it doesn't matter what YOU would want, it's just the fact that people could do it and it would depart from your meaning of human.

[quote]So is that how humans will be regarded by this new species? Chimps? The prospect of being treated like a chimp doesn't exactly enthrall me.[//quote]

ya you're so good at understanding points. Humans are a lot like chimps in a lot of ways, that's why in many psychological and physiological studies they use chimps in the place of human beings; i think the psychological portion of that is especially important.

Quote:
Well, given your insistance that cybernetics would allow for fundamental changes in the negative aspects of human nature, what is to stop those in power from forcing it on the masses "for their own good"? Sure, in an ideal world the technology would be used fairly and justly and never forced upon anyone, but in the real world, that doesn't happen.
So? Who gives a shit. This has nothing to do with transhumanism.

ITS POSSIBLE THAT BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN IN THE UNIVERSE< THEREFORE NOTHING GOOD. We shouldn't have a justice system because it's possible that it might be abused! Those in power eventually abuse government!

Quote:
Sure they could choose. But are the powers that be going to let them? And is everyone going to have equal access to this technology, or is it just the wealthy?
*sigh* I don't know, I imagine that at the *very least* some remnant of modern economics might persist thousands of years from now and that technology will become more and more available as new production methods and newer forms of technology are developed. but i dunno maybe they won't be capitalist society.

Jeanette I think this is getting to ridiculous Will all these possibilities that you're bringing up are possible, it doesn't mean the other possibilities couldn't occur at some point in some history of some civilization. And furthermore, these things which we consider negative might not be so negative in the future! Maybe we can be blissful an d completely content by while being ruled.

or maybe it will be anarchist i dunno!

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of.
yea i think that happened ill try to find a news story.

Quote:
Alike and equal are not the same, not to mention the fact that intelligence is notoriously difficult to quantify and measure. If we "equalize" one type of intelligence, what is to prevent this change in the brain from lowering a different type of intelligence. We know very little about how the brain works, and I am quite reluctant to tinker with something that we have little understanding of. I have only the most minimal understanding of how my car works, so therefore, it would be an extremely bad idea for me to start tinkering around under the hood to make it go faster.
Okay well let's assume for a moment that the scientists and engineers of the future actually have some kind of idea about what they are diong and have maybe been trying to do it for a couple of hundred years or something.

no just kidding in the future most of the scientists have a 75 iq and the smartest ones are jeanette thats why we can take this here testimony as an authority. If jeanette doesn't understand modifying the brain, and all intelligent scientists of the future are jeanette, then we can't possibly hope that jeanette i mean intelligent scientists of the future will save us from inequality of the brain