View Single Post
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 01:37 AM       
They spent most of the budget on the graphics. The reason it's so linear is because that would require more graphics. Plus, it's not like JRPGs really offer much deviance from the main story; open worlds are really just illusions of freedom with one or two side dungeons for loot.

FF13's structure really didn't bother me that much (FFX was just as linear and anyone who says otherwise is a liar or hasn't played that game recently). I just didn't like the pacing (if the tutorial ended and grand pulse were introduced maybe twice as quickly, it wouldn't be so bad).

And if you're expecting a good story from Square, don't. FF12's development hell scared away most of the talented staff after executives went and stuck their dicks in the potato salad. Most of the writers and creative directors moved on to better companies. For what it's worth, I thought the cast had potential and the writers just never fully realized it. I'd say they're trying to realize it now through the sequels, but it seems more like they're just dumping all the extra assets they spent money on; FFXIII-2 ends in a cliffhanger and got jacked up with DLC, and Lightning Returns really doesn't look very promising. Meanwhile, VersusXIII is in limbo because Tetsuya Nomura locked himself in a clothing store in Shibuya and is doing aaaaall the cocaine.