View Single Post
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM       
I don't believe god exists for the same reason I don't believe a fountain of prime rib that gives me orgasms and sings hoe-down songs at me exists. Itd be nice and all, I just really really don't understand why there is evidence that it exists.

And thats just my beef with people who can even define what they're saying exists. Most of ya'll have completely ignored the most important part which is that you don't even know what you're discussing. God and soul are totally undefined as far as I can tell, and their meaning varies greatly from person to person. You can't argue definitively and meaningfully about something that has no meaning.

Then again I think thats basically the point. Its nice to believe in things stronger than logic and meaning because you can count on them. Note, thats not a reason why it does exist, but one why people would be motivated to convince themselves something exists.

I think love and compassion are enough, but vengeful human figures with bizzare rule systems and post-mortem treats/punishments is cool too I guess.

Regardless, those who attempt to be intelectual agnostics about it are wasting time even thinking about it. If you're agnostic then you realize the scope of your ability to know the nature of god. Then no assumption about it is valid, except through a 1 in infinity chance, so you might as well believe in nothing (unless it gives you the no-logic-giggles as mentioned before).

You other dudes are just brainwashed or trying to fit in with other brainwashed people because you are lame. Sorry, tis true. Morals are, or should be, universal for all sentient creatures. Once you have achieved conciousness you should be free to not be manipulated physically in any way undesired by another sentient creature, your possesions shouldnt not be manipulated unless desired, and you have the right to take actions nessecary to make sure these rights aren't violated. This should make sense to everyone who isn't severely mentally ill or on drugs, in which case you are not fully sentient and you should go have fun with your bliss.

Despite saying that and believing that I should point out that I, and most atheists I know end up developing their own "extra" sets of moral restrictions on their own. The reason we might seem to be selfish is because only the base set morals should be forceably applied to people. There are things you can believe in that you don't expect out of others. For example, always telling the truth. Noones going to punish me for telling lies noone will ever discover. I know this. I could lie to my own ultimate advantage. But I don't.

People need to have more faith in people is all I'm saying.

Also you're all stupid.