View Single Post
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM       
The Picturebooks are cool. I was looking at them before I found more powerful and likely cheaper stuff that's coming out recently.

Also, looks like they're not bringing the $199 model to the states, but you can really order 'em here, I believe:

http://www.allasus.com/CATALOG/advan...de5ad3&x=0&y=0

They specialize in Asus stuff.

"I have an update for anyone interested. First, I found a few typos on our site(s) that were corrected regarding the Eee. Second, Asus has no plans to bring the $199 version to the US. In an email from Asus this morning, Donald tells me that the 256/512 memory is embedded as is the 2/4 Gb flash storage meaning they are NOT user-replaceable as people keep speculating. Be careful when looking at the specs outside the US - even in Canada (we've seen differences in the past and could not get those units). Linux will be installed on the flash storage module (2/4 Gb) but may be changed to XP by the user (through a USB storage device, presumably). The machine will play any type of video files: WMA/AVI/MPEG specifically (people have been asking me about this). I don't know if any of this is helpful but I thought I would pass it on. We're still waiting on info regarding optional batteries. The target release is still the end of September but I've been through this before with Asus and I know how weeks can turn into months. Still, we have been taking preorders (we will start charging deposits soon). If you're wondering why we must do this it's simple: we need you to commit to us since we have to commit to our distributors/Asus. It's pretty simple. Feel free to call us with questions or check our site(s) for information: www.stipc.com or www.allasus.com."

Release is, evidently, still slated for end of September. The RAM is replaceable, though, if anyone's interested in that. Asus confirmed it.