View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM        Computer question - compy suddenly and without warning stops reading USB
My mom is legendary for destroying computers. I just made her a new one, and one day, according to her, she could no longer connect her digital camera. Soon after, the internet died (her modem is connected through USB) and the next day her mouse wouldn't work (USB mouse).

USB devices will power on when plugged in, but will not show any signs in Windows that the computer knows something was just connected.

Looking in the BIOS, USB keyboard and mouse are set to 'enabled'.

The USB keyboard and mouse do not work outside of windows at all, though I don't remember if they ever did.

I have tried several mice.

I have tried all 4 of the onboard USB ports in the back and both of the USB ports connected through the front.

The mobo uses forceware drivers, which include an 'smbus' driver, which I have uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly to no effect. I've also reinstalled ALL nvidia drivers.

I have deleted the USB entries in the device manager to force them to reinstall with no effect.

I have tried the devices in safe mode to no effect.

I have tried disabling all extra programs and services in msconfig to no effect.

Finally, I have used my Windows XP CD to 'repair' the installation to no effect.

My last option is ANOTHER reformat, but I'm not convinced this will fix the problem. It also doesn't explain how this happened in the first place.
So, help me out, please.

*Dell optical mouse will power on when plugged in, Microsoft optical mouse will not.