View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM       
I got Homefront too but only for the multiplayer.

I don´t know what exactly was going on in THQ´s heads when they marketed that game. They only advertise the Singleplayer Mode with the oh-so-great story. Advertisement for the online-modes? None as far as I can tell.

That wouldn´t be so much of a problem...it´s just...well, the Singleplayer is utter bullshit and the online stuff is pretty great. It´s just that no one knows about it :D

Seriously. I played online for about 2 or 3 hours yesterday. Yes, the servers don´t work well right now cause even THQ themselves didn´t see what kind of game they released there aparently.

Anyway, Ground War is a really fun mode. It´s basically Capture and Hold with three objectives and two rounds of play (the objectives are moved after the first round). While there don´t seem to be many weapons, those that are there seem to be pretty unique and each seems to have it´s specific use. There´s one attachment-slot which can take unlockable scopes, grenade launchers and so on. There´s camo for the weapons (useless of course), a special grenade Slot (for flashbangs of EMPs etc.).
Now it gets more interesting. Next up are the perks we all know and love though here they give you three points you can spend on 1, 2 and 3 point-perks so you can either have 3 weak ones or one powerful and so on.
Where Homefont gets unique is the Battlepoints. Apart from earning XP while playing, every action you do for your team nets you BP which you can spend on two kinds of things. First are the buy-slots of which you can assign two to each Equipment-Set. For example, the Assault-Set has a Flak Jacket and an RPG as it´s default setup. If at any point in the game you have 300BP (about 3 kills for example), you just press up on the D-Pad and voila, a Flak Jacket to make you more resistant to enemy fire. There´s many other things you can buy with BP. Drones (more on those in a bit), Ammo Refils, Airstrikes and, most importantly: Vehicles. From Humvees to Tanks and Choppers, if you have the neccessary BP you can just spawn in a Tank if you want. Gotta unlock them by leveling though.

Finally a quick word on Drones. There´s at least 4 kind of Drones in the game and they all make sense (A drone takes up a BP-Slot so choose wisely). Most Drones work by just pressing a button, spawning the thing in front of you and then taking direct control of it until it is destroyed or you are killed.
The basic Drone is the Robot-with-a-gun-Drone, it´s nice for taking a cautious approach when it comes to storming buildings or scouting out the battlefield ahead since dying is usually not that advantagous caus you have to run quite a distance to get back into the action most of the time. The next Drone is the...Parrot I think, it´s just one of those little flying hover-thingies. It´s unarmed but you can use it to scout from the air and mark targets and enemies for your allies which in turn nets you more BP so being a Scout can pay off too if your secondary BP-Slot holds an Airstrike for example. The third is some kind of Anti-Vehicle Drone but I haven´t played around with it yet.

Anyway, to wrap this up, the Online Modes really have potential. They´re fun, they feel less hectic than Modern Warfare, it kind of feels fair most of the time, the whole Dronestuff and BP-Concept is really nice, the verhicles add another layer of complexity since it can really be a problem if someone walzes through your defenses with a tank an no one has any countermeassures.

Good game, but only online.