Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:41 PM        Blaster Worm. Then CRC errors? Helm says WTF. Help!
Okay so apparently I had a Blaster Worm variant that activated on the 16th of this month and it was hell to clean out. Actually I'm not 100% sure that it is completely cleaned out, but then again I'm on the 'net for half an hour no and no shutdown message. So that's taken care of. Sort of.

Another (far more important problem) that popped up in the last few days which I attributed to the Blaster Worm is that when I use InstalShield installers (that depend on unpacking .cad or .bin or whatever files) or when I look in other archives (usually .rar) I get a buttload of Cyclic Redundancy Check errors. That's a CRC error, for those of you into abbrns. Header errors. Now I'm not so sure it's cause of the Blaster. This usually means you have a virus that's fucking up your data and that may well be, but Norton, Panda and McAfee check out clean besides the Worm infection. And I don't even think Blaster can do that sort of damage.

Besides, I mounted a clean bought game cd and I try to install it and I get crc errors when InstallShield tries to unpack. I try the same game on another computer and it's clean and it installs and everything. So obviously I've got a local problem. Fuck if I know exactly what's going on.

What I've tried:

Reinstalling windows (no formatting! I gotta back up 51 gigs of data if I'm going to format) : result? Same crc errors. Faulty Windows disk?

Reinstalling service pack and windows upgrade bits: result? no difference.

What I'm going to try: I'm going to buy another IDE HD in monday and do a clean windows install on that HD using another version of windows xp pro just in case there's something wrong with my disk. If I STILL get these crc errors then I've got a fucking hardware problem and I don't even know where to look for it.

What I want to ask everybody is if anyone's ever encountered anything of the like. And help generally doesn't hurt. I haven't been online for two weeks because of this bulshit and I'd like to get over and done with it soon. I got a severe case of depression because I've got a 1,600 $ machine sitting here moaning like a crippled workhorse trying to get up.

Oh and don't get me fucking started on the fact that I have to find a new code for windows activation or I'm defaulting out in 24 days. Fucking microsoft. First time I actually buy my fucking OS and it's THIS time I'm gonna get blocked out of my system for it. Somebody play that stupid Alanis Morissjtgrghrehwweeyytte song.