Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Crazy dog woman
the Platinum Poppy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM       
I might be the only person who likes Superman Returns better than Singer's X-men-movies.

I hated how Singer changed Rogue. In the comic she's one of the toughest superheroes on the team, in the movie she's a mere damsel in distress. Presumably the X-men movies were "really" about homosexuality (at least lots of movie critiques claimed that) - well, in that case, why did they have to change Rogue's past, so that she's no longer the adopted daughter of a lesbian mutant couple?
And so many character's were introduced in such a short time that most of them ended up having one superpower and then top one personality trait - they never became persons. Plus their entire world looked pretty stupid, like our world beefed up by putting plastic sci-fi gadgets here and there. And everyone had ridiculos stiff leather costumes that looked like the last thing you'd like to wear in a fight.

SR had the advantage of featuring ONE superhero, who didn't even have to be introduced from scratch. No character were radically altered from the comic. The SR world is a slightly stylized version of ours, and looks great. And the love triangle of Superman, Lois and her boyfriend was SO much better than Wolverine-Cyclops-Jean. I mean, you can see why Lois found herself another guy, since Superman was gone for five years. She and Richard seems like they have a lot in common and are happy together. The whole thing makes sense!
While in the X-men, you have Cyclops who's defined by being boring and having laser eyes, and Jean Grey who's defined by alwas smiling seductively and being telekinetic, and Wolverine who's defined by being tough and having claws. And then they're supposed to be falling for each other. Okaaay...

The worst love traingle in any superhero movie ever, by the way, has got to be Spiderman 2 when Mary Jane suddenly runs off to marry some random guy just because Peter was late for dates. I mean seriously, in the real world that behaviour would qualify her for some serious psychiatric care.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM       
How was he supposed to realistically introduce the whole fucking Ms.Marvel, Mystique, and Destiny background for rogue in an ENSEMBLE movie? I can understand having a hard-on for rogue, but fuck.

That was very funny. Well done.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM       
The X-Men project was too ambitious from the get-go, and I think he did as well with that universe as anyone could. Fox is doing it backwards, giving us an origin movie after the fact. I think a standalone Wolverine film before the X-Men film would've been great in that it would've given the other characters more breathing room in subsequent movies. Hindsight is 20/20 and all. Superman Returns was good, but honestly, I'm not too keen on the franchise just because Superman can't be done better than he was done by Richard Donner. I'm not a whore to my own nostalgia, but it's going to take more than Singer can offer to top Superman or Superman II. A CGI-fest that pits him against Brainiac or Dakseid won't mean it'll be a better movie.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM       
Would that "anyone" include Bret Ratner
Crazy dog woman
the Platinum Poppy is probably a spambot
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:50 PM       
Point taken Zomboid... Pac-man, you're right. A Wolverine movie would have been much better to start with. Or else the first movie could have focused completely on Magneto and professor X and their origins... The big problem really was that all those characters and this entire universe were introduced at the same time, there was no way to pull it off.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM       
I don't think anyone should be thankful for a movie just because it wasn't terrible. It had fundamental narrative problems and a villain who was foiled by his own ineptitude rather than the hero, who was recovering in a hospital bed.