Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM        THE FITNESS THREAD
Okay, this is getting talked about more and I'm getting PMs about it, so let's keep it to this thread instead so the fatties don't revolt and leave us for brawl hall.

Read this before asking a question: http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I'm certainly not an expert, but I do a ton of reading on the subject from actual accredited fitness authors. When possible, I will link to actual experts and/or studies who support my assertions. I've also done this shit myself and have a good handle on what works and why. At the risk of inflating Pub's spank bank, here are the pictures of my personal progress since 2009:

Spoilers!

k, ask away.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM       
were people really crying about being told not to be fat anymore
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM       
that's my fitness related question
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM       
they were, and i advised them to go to planet fitness, where they can meet the rest of the fat acceptance movement
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:00 AM       
fat friends, did you know they have BUCKETS of TOOTSIE ROLLS at planet fitness?
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:02 AM       
also, you should love planet fitness because you actually have an excuse for always being sweaty
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM       
so you said I should do core-strengthening excercises for sick abs, what would be some examples aside from like crunches or whatever

I tried just googling it but that brings up a bunch of bullshit.
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype View Post
fat friends, did you know they have BUCKETS of TOOTSIE ROLLS at planet fitness?
yes, they also have free pizza and free bagels day

i do love me some bagels though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
MUSCLE IS FOR FAGS

Lift weights and stop eating candy
I think there's a disconnect on the meaning of the word "muscle". To people familiar with it, it means muscle tissue, which everyone has. To the layfag, it seems to mean "sweet biceps bro". Just think of muscle as the solid shit under your skin. To look like brad pitt in fight club or whatever your goals are, you will need muscle. I rly don't think I look xbox hueg and it's because I focus on a slimmer look myself.

You will also need to lose fat. The saying is that abs are made in the kitchen, and that's true for the most part. Body fat is almost entirely dependent on your diet. Eating less will cause you to drop in both fat and lean body mass (muscle tissue), which is why you need to prevent the latter from happening at all costs or you'll just end up slightly smaller and still pudgy. You prevent muscular atrophy by eating lots of protein and straining your muscle regularly.

Lifting free weights will take a good deal of dedication to learn to do it safely and effectively; tbh if you aren't willing to do that then you can go ahead and use machines. They're less effective in the long run, but squatting with a 2" range of motion and still throwing your back out is even less so.

Your diet is actually the biggest and hardest thing that will have to change if you want to lean up. You will need to learn to cook with certain essential ingredients; especially chicken breasts, ground beef, and lean fish. WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE.
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM       
Crunches are for fags and don't help for a variety of reasons. Those reasons have to deal with hypertrophy only being possible within a certain (smaller) range of repetitions and the range of motion on a crunch being fucktarded.

The best core lifts are the squat and deadlift. The deadlift is my very favorite lift and is deceptively simple. Really nothing can complete replace the squat and deadlift, and even if something could, it would involve 4+ lifts to accomplish what one lift would do for you instead. It's worth mentioning that my chiropractor has forbade me from doing squats for the time being, so I have had to work around it myself.

To get started without a gym membership or any equipment (ok maybe a doorframe chinup bar), check out convict conditioning. Here's an excerpt:

Spoilers!

pushups and handstands use your core as a stabilizer, squats and bridges will directly work the core. btw using weights is still much better, but if you're itching to do something right this very moment that picture can be helpful.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:17 AM       
planks
side crunches
knees to elbows
hanging leg raise
oblique twists
russian curls
toe drivers
axe chops
plate crunches
there's a lot you can do

also, if you're doing any other exercise, keep your core tight. compound exercises are your best friend though.
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:25 AM       
a lot of those are isolation exercises that target specific muscles within the core. the spinae erector is pretty goddamn important and very few lifts target it (deadlift is one of them btw). the only bodyweight exercise that comes to mind for it is the superman, which is pretty much impossible to add weight to. i recently added leg raises to my routine because i needed more hip flexor work and would like to correct some of my hyperlordosis. i prefer to use the cable machines for it.

obliques i never really saw a point in targetting due to the way those muscles can square out your midsection.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM       
most of those are isolation, yes, but he can do a lot of those without going to a gym. I didn't even think about convict conditioning. I did a lot of that after my car accident and loved it.

if you do deadlifts, make sure you have someone around to teach you the proper form. it's easy to fuck up and can potentially be dangerous, but it's one of the most rewarding exercises you can do.
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:31 AM       
oh oh i would be remiss to not mention the dragon flag as my favorite ab exercise

the exercise was invented by bruce lee. it also uses mad core stabilizers and looks cool. the problem with it is that you need to have a fucking strongggg core before you can even think about it. i currently do them with bent knees to keep my reps in the 3-5 range.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:42 AM       
I can't really afford a gym membership at the moment and right now I'm really only working out my legs and somewhat my arms by using an elliptical for about 30 minutes a day. One problem with me lifting weights is my nerves get pinched in my shoulder region so easily, so I've kind of laid off working on anything having to do with my arms other than punching a heavy bag every couple of days for 10 minutes. I'm 6'1 and 214 pounds right now, but trying to get that down a little bit. Not looking to be super muscly or anything, I just want to go back to being as skinny and awkward looking as I was when I was in my early 20's.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM       
if you look a few posts up, convict conditioning is actually really great for home based routine.

by lifting weights, you don't necessarily become a bear. it takes years and dedication to do that. everyone should lift, no exceptions.
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:49 AM       
No amount of lifting is going to make you super-muscley if you aren't eating to support the growth. Since you're looking to lose weight, you're already in the clear.

Find out what's wrong with your shoulder. Get an xray, see a doctor. I injure my left trapezius and lower right of my back all the time, and it turned out to be caused by a 15-degree curve in my spine in those areas. I'm getting chiropract'd regularly now.

It's really impossible for me to give you workout advice if I don't know what aggravates your shoulder, but my educated guess is that if you just man the fuck up the problem will solve itself.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:59 AM       
yes, above all it's calories in versus calories out
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM       
My shoulder problem is due to poor posture. I'm at home all day on the computer filling out medical claim forms for a shitty insurance company, so I guess I got a bit of a slouch. I am going to the chiropractor twice a week and have been for the past 3 weeks. So far people have told me I don't look like I'm as hunched over, which is a good start. If I lift something over 40 pounds, I'll sometimes get pinched nerves which results in me being in a lot of pain for over a week, which is why I haven't done anything with my arms other than the heavy bag. I am looking to do something other than the elliptical though, so I think that the convict conditioning may be a good thing for me since I'm usually stuck in the house all day. I don't eat much more than one meal a day with snacks around it ever since I found out I was allergic to wheat a month and a half ago. I think that's what has caused me to lose the most weight so far since most fast food places have wheat in their food so that isn't an option any longer. Again, I really appreciate this thread and am going to look into a lot of this stuff now.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM       
changing your diet will be a huge thing for you. a somewhat retarded, but very true saying: "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"
was never good
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM       
terezi #2, i already said that
Legislacerator
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM       
D:
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM       
In an attempt to cut soda out I have started drinking water. However the clean flavorless taste gets a little boring sometimes. What is a good replacement for soda in addition to water? Personally I have been eyeing cranberry juice. Is this a dumb mistake?
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM       
I weigh between 150-160, and I've still got a couple of chub areas THAT MUST BE EXTERMINATED. I also don't want to go to a gym. I think I should just cut those areas off with a sharp steak knife.

That was very funny. Well done.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM       
HEY CHOJIN (serious post coming up, get ready), what's your opinion on BURPEES? I don't have access to any gym equipment currently and I've heard good things

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM       
Also I still have no idea what the fuck all this jargon is or what any of these numbers mean

"Yeah bro do like 5x27 power cleans that shit is sick"

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jul 8th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.