Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 03:37 AM        The Greatest Horror Movie Moments - Jaws
Automatically generated comment thread for The Greatest Horror Movie Moments - Jaws.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM       
Oh man, I remember her...the story itself is an old-school urban legend (good synopsis here : http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...howtopic=62236).

I knew all about it as a kid and it made for a traumatizing episode. Still, I look at Ms Martel now and think "hmmm, my kind of babe", and not so much "ARGH ARGH ARGH". How times change.

Thanks for the superb Quint mutilation gifs, too.
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM       
in the Jaws unleashed game on ps2 and X-Box, for some odd reason Quint is alive again and with a boat called the Orca II, which is odd, but atleast you're the shark right?
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM       
I think that scene was the first part of Jaws I ever watched. Given that I was 6 or 7 at the time, it led to many a nightmare, but I got over it and love that movie today. Good call on the scene, but I've gotta say my favorite moment is the bigger boat line. Yes, it;s been done to death in every way, but every time I watch it I get goosebumps, it's delivered so well.

And saturn, in the game that was Quint's nephew (or some other relative) on the Orca II, not Quint himself. And I'll be honest; while I recognize that as being a poor-quality game packed to the gills with glitches and bugs, I still enjoyed it. There's not a lot of games out there where you can be a giant shark that eats people in a variety of ways, and that one does that quite well.
Julio is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM       
Get inside the Shark before it bites you and kill him from the inside.
Cell Regenerated Deadite
SPINAL is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:33 AM       
They just needed a bigger boat
Old Ninja
Lothalis is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM       
The only thing I wished they put into the scene is Jaws eyes rolling back into his head like in Quint's speech,"...Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces..." Thats good stuff right there!!!
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM       
I loved how they took the experienced shark hunter out of the game.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM       
Jaws remains, to this day, one of the few horror movies I can watch and that I can watch over and over and over again. Of course, every time it comes on and I'm watching it with my mother:

"He and Brody's wife have an affair." and "He dies." (Said of Hooper.) My mother read the book as well as saw the movie. Obviously, they left stuff out.

Also, I love this, too, if you don't mind a plug for youtube fave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgMJ-WFzPg (Num num num)
grants but one wish
greenimp is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM       
whoah copper, there was a book? i gotta find me one of those
good fer what ails ye.
Beardy Goodness is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM       
I just wish there were more movies involving squid.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM       
Jaws is probably the best movie ever, guys.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:19 AM       
Best Horror movie ever. I still contend that the Princess Bride is the best movie ever.

And yeah, Beardy. By Peter Benchley.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM       
The best horror movie? Sorry, but I don't think it's good enough to dethrone The Thing (and The Shining has latched itself quite firmly to spot number 2). But it's definitely Top 5 material, no doubt.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:19 AM       
Actually, I was just subdividing Guitar's remark about it being the best *movie* ever. Thing and Shinning (Ach! Ya want ta get us sued?!) will get no argument from me, believe me.
Forum Virgin
Mojomajik9 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM       
Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time and I agree the Quint character is fantastic, but I have to disagree with you. The best part of Jaws is the opening sequence. It sets the tone for the entire movie and till this day still makes me not want to go swimming. When that chick first gets yanked under water and she bobs back up to the surface, trying to get her breath and is obviously terrified out of her mind--oh man. Then Jaws pulls her from side-to-side before she disappears forever. That was brutal.

I think Jaws has to be a top 5 horror movie. It stands the test of time, and unlike many horror movies, there's a great deal of plausibility in the flick. Plus, the book was very loosely based on the 1917(or there abouts) events off the Jersey shore, where a shark(s) devoured like 11 people in a few days time. I didn't care for the book, it seemed to deal more with classism and the rivalry between Brody and Hooper, than the actual man-eating shark on the loose. One of the few cases where the movie was better than book, like Forest Gump.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM       
Copper: Alright, no worries. I was just clarifying your clarification (and in the end, I can't disagree with a Willie quote :D)

Mojo: While I don't think that's the best scene of the movie, it's certainly one of the best opening scenes out there (in my world, it's tied with Leon for best opening period); you're quite right in how it sets the mood. As for the Jersey beach attacks, the events there were actually the same as the movie (same number killed, same order; girl swimming, a dog, a boy, a man's leg, and then another man). Might need to double-check that but I'm sure it's right. Never read the book so I've got no comment on that.

Someday I will learn how to quote. Someday...
Former Virgin
Chuggernaught is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM       
I've seen this movie at least two dozens times. If I'm channel surfing and I come across it, I'll still watch it. The story Quint tells about the USS Indianapolis is freaking excellent.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:38 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojomajik9 View Post
Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time and I agree the Quint character is fantastic, but I have to disagree with you. The best part of Jaws is the opening sequence. It sets the tone for the entire movie and till this day still makes me not want to go swimming. When that chick first gets yanked under water and she bobs back up to the surface, trying to get her breath and is obviously terrified out of her mind--oh man. Then Jaws pulls her from side-to-side before she disappears forever. That was brutal.
I actually think the best description of Jaws I have ever heard (or at least the music) is "It can inspire terror...in two notes...Ba dum." And that is sooo freaking true. You hear that "Ba dum" and you just *know* evil is going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxing Dragon View Post
Someday I will learn how to quote. Someday...
The easiest way is to switch to forum view. Then either use the quote tab or the little button with the apostrophes for multiple ones. If you want to keep using the comments view, the tab with the word bubble on it are quote brackets (but it merely makes the text look like a quote, you have to credit the source yourself.) Took me a while to figure that out *laughs* (And please don't mind me getting into "explanation" mode. I strive to help on forums, heh.)
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
The easiest way is to switch to forum view. Then either use the quote tab or the little button with the apostrophes for multiple ones. If you want to keep using the comments view, the tab with the word bubble on it are quote brackets (but it merely makes the text look like a quote, you have to credit the source yourself.) Took me a while to figure that out *laughs* (And please don't mind me getting into "explanation" mode. I strive to help on forums, heh.)
Hey, it works (wow, I never noticed that tab there before). Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM       
Glad to be of service *salutes*

*thinks about how to get this back on topic* Ummm. Yeah, got nothing at the moment *flees*
100% Regulator
jo8136 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM       
JAWS is one of my favorite movies of all time. I have also read the book. It was a good read but was upset when Hooper died beacause he was my favorite person in the movie.