Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM       
Post examples or shut up. We're moving on.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM       
SERIOUS IDEA - Are we able to initiate the kind of thing they have for new members on gamefaqs? IE - Limit number of posts per day for new users? Not allowing them to make threads would probably cut down on some spam bot posts too.

Edit - eat a dick.

That was very funny. Well done.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM       
Text should be lime green and flash into a brighter green intermittently.

By the way Zomboid, I found that system very unfriendly and created a feeling of superiority in those who didn't deserve it. Yeah, you may be a vet, but you still suck as much as the guy that joined two days ago.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM       
the problem with a post limit on new members is that it would only affect the people that we'd ban for doing that in the first place. not being able to make new threads is a thought, but is that really a problem we're having?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Tadao:

As far as I'm concerned, you can call someone out in one thread if you're being classy or at least funny about it. And that thread would go in general blabber. I don't think the rules specifically state that you can do that, but there's a reason it says to not follow people around while harassing them and not just "don't harass anybody ever".
What happened was that rules are one thing, the collective is the another. When a lot of us arrive, we tend to watch how people are and base what we do on your examples. I haven't seen a calling out thread since I've been here, so I didn't create one. I noticed you guys wait till someone does something really stupid and then smack them in that thread. So I did likewise. This is your home and I'm a guest. I follow your examples. I LEARNED IT FROM YOU DAD! i LEARNED IT FROM YOU!

Also I think Rogs treat the new people nice was the worst idea he could have come up with. Did any new poster really think they were gonna get a comfy chair?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
the problem with a post limit on new members is that it would only affect the people that we'd ban for doing that in the first place. not being able to make new threads is a thought, but is that really a problem we're having?
It's more just a general inaneness that plagues posts.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post

By the way Zomboid, I found that system very unfriendly and created a feeling of superiority in those who didn't deserve it. Yeah, you may be a vet, but you still suck as much as the guy that joined two days ago.
I'm pretty sure they just have it so that new members don't go around spamming the fuck out of the place, which would happen even more frequently there. If someone feels superior for being able to post more than someone else, that's their own fault and I think that they'd be called on it here.

Quote:
The thread thing isn't a huge problem, no. It happens every now and then but it's nothing that needs SWIFT ACTION or anything.

I think if new members had their posts limited, they'd maybe realize that we don't want them running around posting everywhere. Instead of getting banned, they might just turn into posters capable of contributing something worthwhile every now and then.

That was very funny. Well done.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM       
wait, what obnoxious new members?

Xydexx has been the only one I've noticed in two months.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM       
I don't mind Xydexx.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM       
http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showt...php?t=69699240
was never good
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM       
yeah, we had a bunch when the site was redesigned, but i really don't think a handful of new people every month are at the root of all our ails.

I created this thread not so much to focus on what we or other people are doing wrong. I want ideas on what we could be doing additional to create value-added synergies.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM       
Well then I really don't know what you want from people, other than flay idiots.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM       
Can I point out that the claim of 4chanery was directed at the main sites articles?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM       
The thing is though I'm not really sure what's wrong with the forums. I have an overarching sense that something is different about them as compared to, say, 3 years ago. And things haven't seemed stagnant lately. But I can't quite pinpoint a specific cause.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM       
I haven't seen many people being douchebags to one another, just the same old same old.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:19 PM       
Mabye we all just need to take a break from this forum, if the vets and valued regulars are starting to getting burned out by dealing by idiotic posters, I donno.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM       
Maybe moderator status should be handed over to me because I feel excellent about everything.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM       
I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I'd like the forums to work more like SomethingAwful's, where posters are put on probation for making overtly obnoxious jokes and generally humiliated publicly.
was never good
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM       
for the record, i still have no idea who you are, GDD.

I will change the thread title to be more POSITIVE so you fuckers can be more POSITIVE.

Maybe we could have a sack race.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM       
He's Sniperwulf, I think?
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I'm probably going to get shot for this, but I'd like the forums to work more like SomethingAwful's, where posters are put on probation for making overtly obnoxious jokes and generally humiliated publicly.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Fuck it, let's get burned together!
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
I feel that the overall mood of the forums has changed drastically as of late, and I don't want to necessarily put the blame on the whole "being complete jerks to new people drives away business so stop being complete jerks to new people unless they really deserve it" imposition put forth after all the major site changes, but I was never too keen on that idea in the first place. When brand new people used to post threads, even if they were perfectly legitimate, they would often get derailed immediately and usually with hilarious results. Nowadays threads like those get taken seriously and are therefore not as fun.

That's not to say some current people don't need a kick in the ass every once in a while either. As a specific example, saying something like "I'm glad Cartoon Network brought back Mikaymoyi, this makes up for Chooky Chokey Sami Whammy" or a thousand "Haves you know I can score big time buds you think Pubs I am an high as kites now :420" used to elicit ridicule, and now it will most likely get ignored. I don't know, everyone just seems more apathetic about mocking other people, and when people don't get adequately mocked for the stupid shit they do they eventually think that said stupid shit is acceptable.

And I don't mean to pick on GW specifically, but a lot of what he posts seems to only be appreciated by Chojin and vice versa. Sometimes it just seems like you two have ongoing inside jokes that nobody gets. This is of course a personal opinion since I'm not too into video games and a whole lot of it goes over my head. It might not for most people, but this is just what I notice.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Yeah! But what about people in wheelchairs? I'd want to sack race if I was in a wheelchair.
was never good
emu, can you explain how the probation system works? I have a somethingawful account, but I know better than to try to get a straight answer out of any of them.

and milhouse it isn't so much an inside joke thing that I have going with GW as it is youtube poop jokes, which I can understand if no one else here gets that sort of thing. in my circle of friends in maryland we're constantly making youtube poop jokes so I guess it bleeds heavily into my online writings.
Official forum judge
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
He's Sniperwulf, I think?
Bingo.

Last edited by Girl Drink Drunk : Mar 17th, 2008 at 09:59 PM.