Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Senior Tim Allen is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM       
Actually new sources of stem cells has been found
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993643
DDAAF supporter
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:16 PM       
Stem cells can be extracted from adults. They're not as maleable and often less useful as those taken from embryos, but they don't have the moral reprehension.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM       
Moral reprehension? They're just cells and they throw the embryos away regardless.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM       
That's only half the argument, though. Okay, nothing wrong with using the current supply, right? Once they're gone, will there be no more? No. Abortion clinics insure that there is a lucrative market. I've seen the price lists. It's been a while, but last time I looked an intact fetal brain brings in $1200. Stem cells aren't the exact same issue, but it's close enough.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM       
Embryonic stem cells, as their name suggests, are derived from embryos. Specifically, embryonic stem cells are derived from embryos that develop from eggs that have been fertilized in vitro—in an in vitro fertilization clinic—and then donated for research purposes with informed consent of the donors. They are not derived from eggs fertilized in a woman's body.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics3.asp
Mocker
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM       
So which is the morally reprehensible part? Mixing sperm and eggs in vitro or making use of the ones that would otherwise be thrown out like garbage?

Frankly, I find it morally reprehensible that scientific progress is being intentionally hindered for political gain.

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:27 PM       
exactly.

all the religious anti stem cell people remind me of that monty python song in the meaning of life.

"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great
when a sperm is wasted, god gets quite irate"

these people make it sound as if every one of these embryos would have been implanted into a woman to become people, when in reality they would have just been thrown in the incinerator.

why not use them instead of throwing them out?
Mocker
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM       
YOU CAN'T PLAY GOD, OR GOD WILL GIVE YOUR MOVIE A BAD REVIEW.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:18 AM        Re: Dems beaten, Republicans now begin to atack their own ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
The religous right is demanding that Arlen Spectre, who is pro choice, not be allowed to chair the judicial commitee.

Look for more politburro tactics. This is typical of every extremist movement. Once you've defeated those most obviously opposed to your agenda, you begin gnawing away at yourself.

I predict attacks on other center Republicnas, depending on hiow well this test ballon floats.
I see where you could pick that up, but this is definitely not the case. Republicans don't trust Spectre, and most believe he is a Democrat in desgiuse (though Democrats call him a sensable Republican). This is mainly because around two or so years ago Spectre used Bush, and pretended to support him so he could land a spot of power. And after only 13 days of getting said position he suddenly turned against Bush and has been against him for the most part ever since.
Pro-Choice has little or nothing to do with this, but I understand how stating that this was the issue would be better at making people angry, since suddenly it turns an unrelated topic into a radicalist movement theory, whether it was yours or not. But that is how the baseball game is played.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM       
"Stem cells aren't the exact same issue, but it's close enough."

It's not 'close enough' in that it has nothing at all to with it. Embryos slated for disposal are what you get embryonic stem cells from. No aborted Fetuses in the picture at all. You might as well be saying "The killing of endangered Elephants for ivory is the same excat issue, but it's close enough".

And Blanco. The resignation of two hard right wingers cannot be seen as any indication of the status of centrists, unless you somehow think they are going to be replaced by centrists. The only reason Ashcroft might be replaced by someone to the left of him is that it would be very nearly impossible to find anyone right of him. You think Arlen Spectre will get the nod for AT general? Maybe Olympia Snow?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 01:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Ya, the Bush admin is getting rid of all them moderates

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6446454/
This is fucking politics Blanco, and you damn well know it. Ashcroft, probably from day one, has been the most unpopular cabinet selection. He has also conducted himself in a fashion that made him come across as overtly Christian. Even Bill O'Reilly was denouncing the guy today.

SSo what do you do? Bring in a Latino with a semi-liberal judicial record, make the growing Hispanic base happy, as well as making a faux gesture to the MILLIONS who voted for Kerry. This doesn't make Ashcroft a bad man, nor does it mean Gonzelez is unqualified, but it was a politically conscious decision by the Bush Team.

Denounce Tom DeLay, just like the REPUBLICAN House did during an electionn (!), and then you'll convince me that Bush is broadening his base.