Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:17 PM        What Tomorrow Holds
I'm gonna say 'nothing yet'.

I believe we will see some seriously deadlocked races, and some majorly active lawyers, and some pre-packaged ready to go protesters, and it may be some time before we know who 'won'. Since the voting machines can't be trusted, whichever side wins, the other will legitimately be able to call them illegitimate. ow it all shakes out is going to be anybodies guess.

I think, though, that called winning or loosing, the D's will gain some seats with enough margin that they won't be contested. And I'm okay with that. Yes, I'd really like to see the House and the Senate be won by D's, though I'm an independent now, since I think divided government at this moment in history offers the best chance for the continuation of the American Experiment.

But W has no more elections left, the Baker report is coming, and Republicans in the House and Senate have their futures to look toward. This time, I don't think (and I truly hope) %51 will not be enough for George to govern like a king.

However many days or weeks it takes to hash out all the results, I think we are moving into a better time. Here's hoping.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM       
I think there will be voting errors tomorrow, but I think you may be overstating it for two reasons. 1. The number of absentee ballots being used in this election is unheard of. Some races, they may comprise as much as half of the ballots. In TN for example, the Ford people have in fact pushed absentee ballots in their strong holds (Knoxville, Memphis, etc.) in expectation of long lines and machine errors.

2. This will be the most closely watched election ever. Forget all of the lawyers each party has lined up to sue the other, the parties will have ground troops out at a lot of polling places, particularly watching for long lines as the day winds down.

I think the Dems will take the House. The senate is a toss up at this point, but i think it'll stay GOP. Webb will win, Ford will lose.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM       
Is it established that Lieberman will caucus with the Dems if (when) he wins?
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM       
I think so, but he's also said that while he'll caucus with them, he's inclied to be even more 'outspoken' then he has been. So for counting a majority, he counts, but he's being coy about how he votes.
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM       
It's too bad these robo-calls the republicans are sending out are leaving a bad taste in dem voters. This really should be a huge story.
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM       
Robo-calls should be a huge story?

Lieberman will caucus Dem, although he has every right to scare the shit out of the party. He just wants his committees.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:56 PM       
I think the real story there is whether he'll get them, and that won't be decided till after he wins and upon whether he kneels back at Pelosi's throne. He was a staunch Democrat voter for years, and I actually see the party having the balls to demand more of exactly that and nothing more of him in return for his senority.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:05 PM       
He'll get his seniority, and i don't think Pelosi can effect that(?). Maybe you just couldn't resist a Pelosi jab.....
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Robo-calls should be a huge story?
Yeah. People all over are complaining about them, and they think the calls are from the Democrats. The messages start off by saying, for instance, "let me tell you about Diane Farrell" before getting into negative stuff about her. Of course, they call 10-20 times, and even during the middle of the night, so people hear just that, hang up, and get pissed. At the very end of the message, of course, they say "this message is brought to you by the Republican National Campaign Committee", so technically it's in compliance. But it's absolutely sleazy, and in New Hampshire the Republicans had to stop because the practice was breaking state laws.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
He'll get his seniority, and i don't think Pelosi can effect that(?). Maybe you just couldn't resist a Pelosi jab.....
Will he, automatically? I'm not as up on the inner workings of the Hill as you are... I thought his run as an Independent was in effect him starting all over...

...and, no, I can never resist a Pelosi jab, though I have shown, at least in my opinion, tremendous restraint, given the evil being she is.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM       
I read they're calling in 20 districts. Sure they're annoying, but they're much like push polls. i don't think they help anyone's cause, but I also don't think it should be a big story.

There were reports of excessive calling in NY-16, and both Sue Kelly and the NRCC have said they didn't do it. Why would you want to annoy voters like that? You won't increase turnout that way, you'll just piss people off.

it's stupid, but i don't think it's a big story.
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
Will he, automatically? I'm not as up on the inner workings of the Hill as you are... I thought his run as an Independent was in effect him starting all over...
Lieberman pulled a shrewd move a few weeks ago and came out and said that Harry Reid promised him his rank, were he to get re-elected (Reid of course denied that this meeting happened). my gues is the truth is somewhere inbetween, but the bottom line is that the senate will be tight either way and the Dems ned all they can get.

But sure, there ae no guarantees. I guess tomorrow can only tell! Woohoo!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM       
Buckle your seatbelts. Here we go. My money is on us not knowing who controls the house twenty four hours from now. I think we'll know the Senate is R but anything could happen.

Let me ask this. Who the FUCK is Chenney's bird huntin' partner today? I hope they are wearing a diving bell helmet, 'cause he's likely to be in a pissy mood.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM       
I think it might be Mark Foley. They're gonna deal with him Fredo style.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM       
If the Dems can't win the house, especially in this political climate, that party needs to go the way of the Whigs.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM       
Record turnout in Connecticut, according to the Kos. Could Lamont score a huge upset?

Bodes well for the Democrat Reps. too.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM       
Hey Kevin, maybe this is already common knowledge on these boards, but I haven't been around so much in recent times. What are you doing these days in DC, anyway?
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM       
Oh, the many, many, many, many potential jokes.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM       
Yeah, I think I'd rather have Max expalain it. He turns a phrase so well.

I work for a direct mail fundraising group and do grad. school P/T. :/
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM       
Apparently Lieberman's position on the ballot is really terrible. Given how stupid most people are, this will actually make a difference.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:52 PM       
That could be interesting, although I think most folks who intend to vote in Connecticut will be driven there by that race, and know pretty damn well who they want.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM       
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM       
Are the Libertarians even running anybody????? I love how the weakest of the main three is up at the very top. That could help him a lot.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:02 PM       
I think Joe will still win, but if anything, this ballot makes for a good laugh.
Mocker
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM       
Senator Macacawitz's phone lines are down, bwahahahahahaha

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...Y3MGViMmJlM2Q=