Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:03 AM        The Best Sega Dreamcast Games!
Automatically generated comment thread for The Best Sega Dreamcast Games!.
Forum Virgin
Max Fightmaster is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM       
Nice list, although the lack of Sonic Adventure (Either 1 or 2) is somewhat surprising.

Loved playing Jet Grind Radio back in the day. Me and my sister loved the music so much that we made a whole CD of it's music and played it as much as we could. It's nice to see that they're remaking it.

Crazy Taxi brings back some memories as well. I can practically hear the Offspring right now just looking at the box.

Speaking of Power Stone, Marvel Vs. Capcom could have been added as well, as a result of the arcade perfect experience. Maybe Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 if you felt so well inclined.

The Dreamcast was definitely and underrated system. Maybe if Segata Sanshiro hadn't died to grant the Dreamcast the opportunity to thrive, it would have lasted longer.
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM       
"The hefty amount of introductory text doesn't do justice to the curious party of mute girl, annoying fairy, and one-eyed man with giant sword and arm cannon."

hmmm...

Mute Girl = Link
Annoying Fairly = Navi
Giant Arm Cannon = Samus

Way to be original and "out there" guys.

Seriously though, I finally caved into the DC hype a few years ago and bought one at a yard sale. I've played most of the games on this list and most of them are "meh" at best.

Now one might say "Yeah but you bought it years later, so of course they aren't going to be as fun." That would be valid except for the fact that I can pull any of my favorites out of my nintendo library, from NES to Wii and they are still fun to play. This is why ultimately Sega fell out of the console market... they make good games, but to survive you need to make great games with an occasional outstanding game.

I'm not knocking the DC btw... just the selection above. I obviously haven't went through the whole library, but thus far, nothing has been terribly outstanding.

I won't deny that some of them are genre defining titles mind you, it's just that they are all genres that I HATE and have ruined modern gaming for me. Shenmue lead to GTA which is garbage and 30 other GTA clones, which are watered-down copies of garbage. Power Stone lead to the horrible non-fighter that is Smash Bros. Soul Caliber lead to the 3d, modern fighter, which lead to superficial series like DOA. Space Channel 5 lead to dance games (UGH!!!)

Rez is cool though, I like Rez. So there's one.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM       
Ikaruga is definitely at the top of my list for Dreamcast games. It's a perfect co-op shooter and incredibly hard at times too, what with the amount of pattern memorization you gotta do. Not quite as hard as Viewpoint... but nothing is. Anybody who hasn't played Ikaruga is truly missing out.

Also needed is Typing of the Dead. Such a great concept.

Last edited by Mockery : May 13th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
The face of trapped wind.
PoGo is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM       
To this day I still have a Dreamcast hooked up in my basement in case I get the urge to fire up some Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or Shenmue. Also, thanks to a friend of mine who decided to take full advantage of the fact that Dreamcast games were pretty easy to pirate I was able to discover the beauty that is Fire Pro Wrestling. Good times were had for years until I discovered Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for PS2.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM       
I still have mine buried in storage. I played the crap out of it though in its time. MvC2, the NFL2K series, Record of Lodoss War, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online. A lot of killed time thanks to that machine
I shot Wilhelm.
ChaiTea is probably a spambot
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM       
I rarely play my DreamCast anymore but this has got me wanting it break it out. Though I don't know which game I feel like playing at the moment. They all sound good.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM       
i love the dreamcast :< it could output vga natively an honestly made a lot of ps2 games look like crap. the world just wasn't ready i guess. if you have a dreamcast and don't have a vga box for it then get one instantly, it is a whole new universe of stunning 480p :O although now that i'm looking the price has really gone up on those things, maybe you'll wanna wire one up yourself.

some games i liked that haven't yet been mentioned here

mars matrix: hyper solid shooting
soul reaver
san franciso rush 2049
gauntlet legends
starlancer
ecco: defender of the future

things that are less fun or totally ruined for lack of online support -

quake 3 arena
alien front online
speed devils online
worms armageddon
bomberman online

i actually purchased my original dreamcast in anticipation of chakan 2 :<
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM       
ZOMBIE REVENGE. Any co-op bash em up game where you can put a zombie in a figure four leglock is cool. A game where the zombie can counter the figure four leglock is awesome.

Also, house of the dead 2 was sweet with the light guns.
Gix is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:46 PM       
Soul Reaver
Phantasy Star Online (was my 1st MMO and loved the hell out of it)
Skies of Arcadia
Jet Grind Radio
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Record of Lodoss War
those are my top fav's from the awesome but short lived Dreamcast
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM       
I went back in and added a few I had forgotten about to the list after the demand for them became too great to ignore. If you don't see your favorite game on the list now, know that it's only because you failed to campaign hard enough.

You hear me, fans of Typing of the Dead?

dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM       
coop typing of the dead was the most brutal contest of wills ever devised by humans. something about sniping a zombie right at the last second with a wild keyboard flailing caused people to descend into a murder frenzy
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM       
Typing of the Dead, Illbleed, Timestalkers, Sega Smash Pack, and Resident Evil Code: Veronica.
Clever Girl
CinnamonGrrlErin is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:08 PM       
I dug my Dreamcast out last year and had some fun with it! I love "Grandia II"; it's probably one of my favorite RPG's outside the Final Fantasy series. Another favorite, and I think it was a PC game originally, is "Stupid Invaders."

Oh, and "Omikron: The Nomad Soul"!
Forum Chaos Lord
Jaimas is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM       
Carrier and Blue Stinger.
Homeostasis by Apathy
Cait Sidhe is probably a spambot
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM       
I spent far, far too much time with Bangai-O back in university and it alone justifies finding a Dreamcast. There is no way to adequately explain to someone else just how much exploding occurs in that game, except to note that a) you will frequently counter attacks by launching literally several hundred homing missiles simultaneously, and b) you will occasionally be forced to do so several times in a row because an enemy is also doing it. It's like some sort of crazy reverse bullet hell with upbeat music and a film-noir talking sheep.
Forum Virgin
SoggyCrackers is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 03:15 AM       
I played too much of some of these, and others I'll have to check out. Our original Dreamcast still lives on after years of service. Other honorable mentions should include:

Speed Devils (my all time favorite)
Rayman 2
ReVolt
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
MDK2
Forum Virgin
Dr Feelygood is probably a spambot
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM       
As a giant robot fan, Tech Romancer was always close to my heart. Unashamed mech knock offs ahoy!!