Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM       
I was thinking today about why does Micheal J Fox a Canadian keep going in front of the Senate? Canada is one of the leading countries for medical research.

Quote:
Canadian
Stem cell Research
Ottawa announces $5.3M for stem cell research

Updated Fri. Apr. 1 2005 8:09 AM ET

Canadian Press

MONTREAL -- It's hoped that stem cells, which can be found in fat, blood, bone and cells themselves, will eventually be used to repair damaged hearts, lungs and blood vessels, a news conference was told Thursday.

Justice Minister Irwin Cotler gave Canadian stem cell research a boost with the announcement of $5.3 million in annual funding.

The research funding for the Stem Cell Network will support a number of national projects, including an effort led by Dr. Jacques Galipeau of the Montreal-based Jewish General Hospital to study the use of adult stem cells as repair material to help patients with cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.

Galipeau said stem cells are like "seeds" and can be used "to grow a crop of new tissue," which would then be used to repair and restore damaged tissue.

"We want to bring these technologies to real people," he told the news conference.

For Linda Beriault, who has suffered from pulmonary arterial hypertension for the last 13 years, stem cell research is an exciting prospect.

She's on medication to counter symptoms such as edema, dizziness and fatigue. The only other options are a lung or heart-lung transplants.

"For me, it's a breakthrough," Beriault said, adding it will give her another choice in medical treatment. "It is very encouraging."

Beriault said the lung disease, which can be fatal, came on after she gave birth to her son. There's no one explanation for its origins.

In Canada, scientists can use adult and embryonic stem cells for research but can't legally push the limits any further.

"There is no therapeutic cloning allowed in Canada," said Galipeau, referring to the production and then destruction of week-old embryos to harvest stem cells.

Later this spring, Galipeau and Toronto-based Dr. Duncan Stewart of St. Michael's Hospital will have patients in the late stages of the pulmonary arterial hypertension disease, who are awaiting life-saving transplants, take part in a trial that will attempt to combine stem cells and gene therapy to treat it.

Scientists from Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Ottawa would like to have clinical trials within the next two to five years with patients using their own stem cells to repair damaged hearts and lungs.

Cotler called it a "landmark day" for medical research and medical care, noting that Canada is among the leaders in stem cell research.
And Vince if you don't have anything intelligent to say please leave my highly charged brief moment of intellectual stimulation
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:48 PM       
you're right fartin and while we're on the subject who cares what america does in response to 9/11 as long as canada does the right thing huh everyone knows the us doesn't matter one bit
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM       
you say US as though you're not from the U.S. :/ you are changing the subject PUB LOVER
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM       
i think you're confused, dude