Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:36 PM        Democrats and abortion
I like Charlie Cook. You're not going to get his opinion on abortion, and if his article seems too technical and too reliant on polls, well, he's a pollster. Elections and polling is what he does.

But he raises an important issue, I think. Whether you are pro-abortion, anti-abortion, apathetic, etc., the Democratic Party needs to address its "stance" on moral issues such as abortion and choice.

Such might be one of the shortcomings of a two-party system, when one party sets itself up as the "yin" on an issue, everybody else inevitably flocks to the "yang" of the opposition. Both parties have "big tents," but seriously, how far could a pro-life Democrat get on the national scene? How far did Tim Roemer get in the DNC Chair's race? Is this an issue the Democrats need to confront, or is it their "moral" obligation to remain pro-choice, pro-abortion....?

http://www.cookpolitical.com/column/2004/022205.php

Turning Down The Volume On Abortion

By Charlie Cook
© NationalJournal.com
February 22, 2005

After each presidential election, the losing party's elected officials and strategists generally develop a consensus on one lesson that they at least intend to apply to future elections. (Whether they pick the right one or not, of course, is often debatable.)

Behind the scenes, there is at least a conversation (if not an actual debate) about what that lesson should be from 2004. More than a few Democrats are suggesting that, just as the party informally decided to downplay the gun issue after their 2000 loss, Dems should now do the same with abortion -- or as Democrats prefer to call it, "the choice issue."

The theory is that if Democrats showcase the issue a bit less, it might help them win downscale, small-town and rural voters who have been defecting from the party with increasing frequency. Yet others warn that the abortion/choice issue has become so ingrained in the Democratic Party doctrine that to suddenly clam up would be seen as politically craven and actually counterproductive.

Democratic pollster Brad Bannon points to the fact that 2004 Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry won among voters with household incomes between $30,000 and $50,000 a year by only a single percentage point (50 percent to 49 percent), arguing that the traditional Democratic message of economic populism just didn't penetrate with this struggling group of voters, whom he describes as "barely middle class" and who make up just over a fifth of the electorate.

Bannon, who heads Washington-based Bannon Communications Research, says that Democrats should be "running up big numbers, but we haven't." He argues that while these voters support Roe v. Wade, "they have typecast Democrats as the party of abortion on demand and gay marriage. To do better with downscale voters, the Democratic Party needs to emphasize an agenda of economic populism over social issues, suggesting that while there are more conservatives than liberals -- thus Democrats are destined to lose an ideological contest -- there are more populists than elitists, so if Democrats ran campaigns from the bottom to top, rather than from left to right," they would be better off.

The other side of the argument is articulated by another Mark Mellman, who served as a principal pollster for the Kerry campaign. In a memo he prepared for EMILY's List, Mellman argues that "the issue of choice played little role in the election, though to the extent that the issue was engaged, it appears to have been a net positive for Democrats," pointing to data from Gallup, CBS News/New York Times and another Democratic firm, Lake Snell Perry.

Mellman also argues that "moral values" were not a key determinant in 2004, and that this conventional wisdom is an incorrect interpretation of flawed wording in an exit poll question. A majority of Americans remain "pro-choice," he notes, and "values" is a term that is much broader than just the abortion/choice issue. More intriguing, Mellman suggests that "the country is moving from a class-based political alignment to an alignment based on culture."

While Bannon contends that Democrats should better argue economic populism to get back to the old model, Mellman contends that the lines are increasingly drawn between those who have a more traditional cultural stance (who are aligning more with Republicans), and those who are more progressive in terms of cultural values (who are siding with Democrats). Mellman points out that 42 percent of Americans attend church regularly and 43 percent do not, roughly the fault lines in American politics. Finally, Mellman says that "casual observers can confuse correlation with causation," that "cultural progressives tend to be pro-choice, while traditionalists are often anti-choice," but that "there is no evidence that the issue of choice itself caused the cultural alignment or that changing positions on choice would undo the current alignment." Elsewhere, Mellman argues that one might see the same correlation on premarital sex, with progressives taking a more permissive position than traditionalists, but it would be difficult to say that Democrats are losing elections because of their positions or attitudes on the issue.

A third Democratic pollster, Mark Blumenthal of Bennett, Petts & Blumenthal and www.mysterypollster.com, says that the abortion issue is a "double-edged sword," noting that "there were certainly gains (for Democrats) during the 1990's in non-southern, upscale suburbs" as well as "long-term losses in rural areas." And while he argues that both the gains and losses for Democrats were "about a lot more than abortion, gay rights and gun control," he concedes that these issues did push voters in both directions.

A fourth Democratic pollster weighing in on the debate preferred to go unnamed but suggested that "a party should not have a position on abortion -- it is a personal decision and when a candidate has a personal conviction, our party should not have a litmus test for support. Yes, Democrats lean pro-choice and should, but it is wrong to say that is the only position a candidate can have."

This veteran pollster went on to say that "many urban and suburban voters lean pro-choice, but not militantly," suggesting that these voters abhor extremism in politics from "either side," but they are more concerned with privacy than rural voters. Finally, he argues that "most voters, regardless of their position on abortion, don't want to talk about it."

A fifth Democratic pollster, who also chose be anonymous, pointed to "a cluster of social issues -- abortion, gay rights and gun control -- that animate liberal Democratic activists and, along with opposition to the Iraq War, define 'progressive' politics."

"Tell the Democratic grass-roots to 'stop talking' about choice," this pollster said, and "they hear it is 'abandon your principles' -- that's not about to happen. They [Democratic candidates] won't stop and no Democrat that aspires to national leadership would try to tell [them] to. My advice to clients would be: emphasize the economic and reform issues that get us to a majority -- Social Security, health care, taking on powerful interests, etc., and follow Hillary Clinton's lead on abortion. Her positioning is exactly right [for a pro-choice Democrat]. Stay pro-choice but speak to those in the middle who want abortion to remain legal as it is now, but have strong moral qualms."

This debate is far from over, and the most likely result will not be Democrats "shutting up" about the abortion issue so much as dealing with it in a far more subtle and nuanced way, cognizant of the power of the issue to help among some voters while hurting others.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM       
I think abortion is basically the only issue I would take a relativly conservative stance on.

I'm probably talking out of me ass but I beleive the only reason I can think to justify an abortion is if the mother is in serious threat of losing her life or rape. I believe that sexual intercourse is a very deliberate decision that has consequences. It doesn't make sense to me that teens should get abortions just because they wanted to have sex but didn't want the baby cuz it will ruin there lives.

But then again I'm taking a totally idealistic view to it. there are people who won't get abortions even when there legal and drop there baby in trash cans, which is one of the few things that makes me sick to my stomach.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
I believe that sexual intercourse is a very deliberate decision that has consequences.
welcome to misogynist club. take a load off and listen to the cool emo music

good thing those consequences only apply to the female. Am I right, guys?! pregnancy: it's like a built-in punishment for impure women, right, SU2? well abortions aren't alot of fun, either. i submit that potential for long-term damage and short term illness related to wonky hormone levels is a suitable punishment for these girls that think they can JUST HAVE SEX WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY THE PIPER

also: are you a vegan/vegetarian? if so i appologize. otherwise enjoy that hamburger and dont worry if some unwanted snatchfruit gets hoovered from time to time, k?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM       
If the Dems appear to downplay their pro-choice platform it may alienate some of the women's rights voters, but I don't think anyone who would consider voting Democrat would say it was "politcally craven." I'm sure the heads at FOX News would be all over it tho.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrida
Quote:
I believe that sexual intercourse is a very deliberate decision that has consequences.

good thing those consequences only apply to the female. Am I right, guys?! pregnancy: it's like a built-in punishment for impure women, right, SU2? well abortions aren't alot of fun, either. i submit that potential for long-term damage and short term illness related to wonky hormone levels is a suitable punishment for these girls that think they can JUST HAVE SEX WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY THE PIPER

also: are you a vegan/vegetarian? if so i appologize. otherwise enjoy that hamburger and dont worry if some unwanted snatchfruit gets hoovered from time to time, k?
You've never heard of this thing called child support.

Basically, if I have sex with a girl and she gets pregnant and decides to keep the child, a judge is going to threaten me with jail time if I don't pay. I'm not saying this is wrong. I support this notion and am fully in favor of hunting down the deadbeats.

However, I have absolutly no say whether or not she has the child. If I am willing to be a father and be there for the kid, it doesn't mean shit in the eyes of the law. She can still abort the kid.

If I make it expressly clear that I want nothing to do with the child, still doesn't matter. She keeps the child and drags me to court.

So, tell me again about choices and such.

Its the funny thing about consequences. Sooner or later, you have to face them. Even if you think men get off easy, we do eventually get it in the end.
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrida
Quote:

You've never heard of this thing called child support.

Basically, if I have sex with a girl and she gets pregnant and decides to keep the child, a judge is going to threaten me with jail time if I don't pay. I'm not saying this is wrong. I support this notion and am fully in favor of hunting down the deadbeats.

However, I have absolutly no say whether or not she has the child. If I am willing to be a father and be there for the kid, it doesn't mean shit in the eyes of the law. She can still abort the kid.

If I make it expressly clear that I want nothing to do with the child, still doesn't matter. She keeps the child and drags me to court.

So, tell me again about choices and such.

Its the funny thing about consequences. Sooner or later, you have to face them. Even if you think men get off easy, we do eventually get it in the end.
actually, the resultant unwanted kids are burdened with the worst consequence of all

i think the current unpaid child support debt is running somewhere around 90 billion
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM       
Hey, guys, let's argue this one some more. I bet somebody wins it this time!
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:51 PM       
Democrats will never be fully able to abandon a predominantly pro-choice stance, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that hardcore pro-lifers won't vote for them anyway. However, I think it would have been in the Democrats' best interest to have gotten firmly behind the partial birth abortion ban. Defending the legality of such a horrific procedure makes the party line on the abortion issue seem far too extreme for most people.
Mocker
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky

Yeah, my intent wasn't to really start a debate over abortion. I'm guessing everybody has an opinion on that, and it's probably a pretty firmly planted one.

I was trying to start more of a political conversation, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Democrats will never be fully able to abandon a predominantly pro-choice stance, so it's pretty reasonable to assume that hardcore pro-lifers won't vote for them anyway.
Right, and I don't think anybody is proposing that the Democrats completely change direction on abortion. But you can make a good argument that you can't even be a pro-life liberal and get a seat at the "discussion" table these days. You can blame this on the interest groups, whatever, but it's a reality.

What makes a national, majority party has always been a subject of debate in this country. Is it standing behind a unified platform with solid principles, or is it merely telling people in specific regions what they want to hear in order to win elections....? The New Deal coalition combined racist Dixiecrats with anti-lynching Dems. in the Northeast, and progressive farmers in the midwest. These factions were divided on some very contentious issues, but they united behind the economic platform of the New Deal.

The social issues, whether it be xenophobia, prohibition, slavery, or now abortion and gays, have always divided people and parties. The question is how you deal with it.

You could also argue that no interest group would actually want to get tossed in with just one party. Take a look at labor, and what good it has done them over the past 25 years. Not only should the Democrats not label themselves as the abortion party, but the pro-choice, abortion groups should work within the GOP, too.

Quote:
However, I think it would have been in the Democrats' best interest to have gotten firmly behind the partial birth abortion ban. Defending the legality of such a horrific procedure makes the party line on the abortion issue seem far too extreme for most people.
I agree. Instead I see pro-choice advocates arguing over semantics, like how "partial birth" isn't a medical term, and that it's rather one created by the pro-life movement. Bleh.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:39 PM       
Quote:
actually, the resultant unwanted kids are burdened with the worst consequence of all

i think the current unpaid child support debt is running somewhere around 90 billion
So, killing them off is the solution? I'd hate to see your solution to fixing the poverty in Africa.

Quote:
Ya, just like all the arguments here and all over the internet.
Mocker
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
So, killing them off is the solution? I'd hate to see your solution to fixing the poverty in Africa.
:eugenics