Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM        Weekly Movie Review: Star Trek
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Star Trek.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM       
I just went to see this with two other people. One of them had never seen anything Trek related and thought this reboot (which she wanted to be because Sylar is in it) would be a good place to start.

The other was a hardcore Trekkie who is about one step below those fans who actually learn to speak Klingon fluently.

I myself am a casual fan. I've watched all the other movies, enjoy all the other series (though I was never really into Enterprise), and try not to take it too seriously.

Me and the newbie loved it. The Trekkie had a lot to complain about, but even he agreed that it was overall a good film.

Considering that he expected to hate every minute of it, I'd say that getting 2.5/3 from us is the best this movie could hope for. All in all, recommended.
Cogito Ergo Moo
Cowracer is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM       
best.... trek.... ever. (period)

But I do wonder what cataclymic events of the future moved the Grand Canyon to Iowa, and it sure takes a leap of faith to think that Nokia would not update its classic ringtone in 300 odd years....

Tim
Jack Burton, Me!
Willem138 is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM       
A few people asked me if they needed to watch all 10 previous films in order to understand this one; I told them no, but that if after watching this new one that they enjoy it, then they should watch First Contact and Wrath of Khan. And then watch all the others in whatever order.

The question is though, does this movie make Star Trek acceptable in non-Trekkie society? Can we label such a franchise as "cool"?? Judging by the number of people who have said "I don't like Star Trek but the new one looks awesome!", I'd say possibly.
Live long and prosper
Output is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM       
Doctor Who...It's Trekker not Trekkie
RevengeVirus is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM       
I'm so pissed JJ stole my idea to shoot a movie almost completely in close-up.
Forgets Passwords Easily
HeroliciousDeBlanc is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM       
My name is James T. Kirk of the Star Trek Enterprise. I'll be over here, getting the shit kicked out of me while you guys execute a real plan against our distracted foe.

Amazing movie, by the way.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM       
You forgot the part where Kirk was sexing a green-skinned girl, I think that was a reference too.
Forum Virgin
Redem is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM       
There two thing I don't get

- Why Uhura was in Iowa

-How come a single drop of red matter make a bigger black hole than the whole ball of it
Julio is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM       
I must see this film.
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:10 AM       
"Doctor Who...It's Trekker not Trekkie"

No, that's what they call themselves. It's kind of like how whiny emo virgins strumming base guitars and writing poetry about how empty life is call themselves "artists".

Trust me, to the rest of the world they are Trekkies. We "Whovians" have made peace with our nickname, why can't they?
Ba dum dum dum dum
Alcibiades is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM       
I watched it with someone who had never watched anything Star Trek and she liked it. I'm a casual fan and I thought it was good too.

I thought the casting was superb, and the plot was well paced and, in a Star Trek kind of way, believable.

I'd really reccomend it to practically anyone.
The Mighty One
FistfulOAwesome is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM       
I haven't seen the movie yet (I plan on renting it when it comes out on DVD) but it has me really worried about the franchise's future. Does the reboot nature of the film mean we'll have to slog through the other series in the future to get to actual new characters? Having not seen the movie yet I'm not really excited about a bunch of stories with Kirk and the Gang again rather than a bunch of new characters? Are my worries unfounded?
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM       
I keep seeing positive reviews for this movie (and more uses of the word fun than I ever though I would see in movie reviews), but I just can't bring myself to see it. I'm simply so disinterested in Star Trek as a whole (never seen the show or any of the movies, no absolutely nothing about it outside Futurama jokes), I simply don't feel any want to go watch it. It's a bit like me and Transformers, actually.
Live long and prosper
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM       
Final word on Trekker vs Trekkie
From Wiki...
"In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempts to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the correct one. In the documentary Trekkies, Kate Mulgrew stated that Trekkers are the ones "walking with us" while the Trekkies are the ones content to simply sit and watch Star Trek."
Spock said it, Janeway said it...case closed
The Mighty One
FistfulOAwesome is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM       
Relaxing Dragon: Coincidentally, the guys who wrote the screenplay to Transformers also wrote the one for Star Trek.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM       
Further down the article: "Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry allegedly responded with "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing.""

The article also called Output a Douche, but it didn't have a citation so it's probably just an opinion.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistfulOAwesome View Post
Relaxing Dragon: Coincidentally, the guys who wrote the screenplay to Transformers also wrote the one for Star Trek.
Eerie. All there needs to be now is some kind of connection between those two films and Wolverine, and I'll have a Trinity of Disinterest on my hands.
blacksamster is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM       
Semi-spoiler response:

I figured Nero had been hanging around for 25 years, at some point you get bored and tune in to local news (and Kirk's daddy apparently became quite famous in the interval).

And yeah, Kirk's encounter on the ice planet is hard to justify.

BUT, even having grown up on films 2 through 6, I had soooo much fun watching this. Bones was the best. And yes, there were "beep beeps" in my audience too!
Forum Virgin
SFD is probably a spambot
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM       
I've never watched Star Trek and I was a little embarassed to say I was going to see it for fear of being thought of as a Trekkie 'n' all that, but my friend made me watch Wrath of Khan and then told me we were going to see the new one at the IMAX and... I really enjoyed it... and that's coming from someone who didn't want to enjoy it!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM       
I hear that the IMAX screens are scandalously small.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/aziz-ansari-imax.html
Live long and prosper
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM       
Further down the article: "Roddenberry has also allegedly used the term "Trekker" in interviews and personal appearances"
Pub Lover...name calling, that's classy.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Output View Post
...name calling, that's classy.
Funny too

No offense, but if you come into any i-mockery discussion like this...

You will get mocked. Simple as that.

On topic. I found the movie as fun as you did Proto, and the casting was very well done. I think it helped that my expectations going in were low though. I was expecting a huge failure despite what I had heard from the previewers and was pleasantly surprised that it was an entertaining movie.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM       
HE SAID CASE CLOSED GUYS! SO HE MUST BE RIGHT. JUST LOOK AT THE EFFECT IT HAS.

Output is a douche...case closed
Live long and prosper
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM       
Douche, is considered to be a pejorative term in most of the English-speaking world. The term implies a variety of negative qualities, specifically arrogance and malice.
I am superior (definition of arrogance) and I do intend to harm (definition of malice).