Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:41 PM        Legacy of Kain: Defiance
I just got this game yesterday, and I must say, this is my favorite game from the entire Legacy of Kain series (yes, that includes Blood Omen, you Raziel hating pricks!)

The combat system is entirely redone, as is the camera, and it is all for the better. The graphics are very pretty on my XBox, but I haven't seen any PS2 shots. Probably just as decent.

The storyline follows that of the Soul Reaver series, mostly, but it does delve into the storyline of Blood Omen, as well. All in all, it is the perfectly well-rounded package. You get to play as both Raziel and Kain, and their stories intertwine between the chapters as you progress.

The usual power-ups for the reaver are here. In other words, the elemental forges are back with a vengence.

I believe that if someone was holding a gun to my head and was forcing me to find a weakness with this game (no, seriously, there is, call the police...) I would have to say the camera angles. They are different than previous installments, and sometimes (very rarely, however) they can be a little cumbersome.

All in all, though, this is a must own for any lover of either the Blood Omen or Soul Reaver series (no, it doesn't have to be both). You owe it to yourselves to pick this gem up as soon as you can.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:21 PM       
THIS GAME SUX
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:04 AM       
I haven't played the game, but alongside the postive details that The Goat mentioned, I have heard the following complaints:

Lots of boring running over long distances.

Little differentiation between the two playable characters.

Repetetive gameplay.

That in mind, I want it just for the story. I only ever played half of the original Blood Omen (right after the Playstation came out) and a tiny bit of Soul Reaver, but I love the world, so some day I'm going to up and buy the whole series and cheat through them to see all the cutscenes and videos.

ROOKIE is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:04 PM       
Is there a lot of puzzles in this game? I don't have the patience/time to sit through any.

Total posts: 1. Edited after 10 years. Solve the mystery! Save the princess!

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:08 PM       
Just finished the game the other day. I loved it.

Then again, I love the whole series, so that shouldn't be much of a surprise.

As usual, the storyline is great. Loose ends are tied up, and interesting twists are thrown in. I admit that I had no idea how it was going to end.

Also as usual, the voice actors really kick the metaphorical ass. Simon Templeman, of course, is still a pimp and a half as Kain, and the rest of the voice actors do a damned good job as well.

Still, the camera, as in nearly every 3rd person game I've come across, is quite cumbersome.

To address what Perndog's heard:

Lots of boring running over long distances.

I guess if you have no idea what to do, there might be a lot of empty running, but to be honest, you shouldn't have to do too much of that in the game.

Little differentiation between the two playable characters.

I disagree. Whereas Kain's section of the game is more combat-oriented, Raziel has more puzzles and such.

Repetetive gameplay.

The different combat maneuvers that you get help to alleviate the problem, but you only get few (the game has an experience system that has five levels), and after that, you stop gaining experience for your kills. Still, each character gets a bunch of different upgrades for their weapon, so that adds more to the combat.

All that said, let me just say that I, personally, have never cared much for Raziel as a character. He just doesn't have the same flair that Kain does, and having him back to back with Kain in this game really makes that weakness stand out. Also, I enjoyed the combat with Kain way more than I did Raziel's puzzles. Moreover, Raziel's combat moves are much less effective than Kain's.

Still, he serves his purpose as a driving point in the storyline. **possible spoiler ahead** At the risk of spoiling the game, let me just say that people that don't like Raziel won't be disappointed.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:21 PM       
I beat it yesterday... One word... WUV.

I agree with everything boogie has to say. Although I think Kain is one of the best video game characters ever, Raziel was alot better in this one than in others.

The replay value is alright, but there is really a huge difference between Kain (badass combat) and Raziel (Super Spectral Guy).

If you haven't played SR or SR2 don't even bother, though. The plot is way to prescious to be tainted by playing them out of order.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:17 PM       
I just beat it (little gaming haiatus, if you will) and I still have a headache. *possible spoiler tying in with the good Doctor's" I personally liked Raziel just sa much as Kain. I hope something happens to change his fate.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:54 PM       
In the last "Legacy of Kain" game they pointed out what Raziel's fate was in the ending. And if it mixes in with the plot well, I don't mind it one bit. But I sure will miss that little relationship between the two. But Kain is the better character, even though I thoroughly love Raziel also.
These games are probably the only one's that I factor in storyline for its playability (being an action and dexterity gamer), because it really is an awesome plot.

A little thing Immortal Goat; Blood Omen wasn't a game in the Legacy of Kain series, it is a series itself. The series before Raziel. The first game was "Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain" whereas the soulreaver series is "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver" and such. Too bad the seconed Blood Omen (Blood Omen II) game blew so much, I was so excited to hear of its production.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:59 AM       
They *all* have Legacy of Kain in the title, and they are all in the same world and storyline, so they are *all* Legacy of Kain games. How else would you refer to the whole collection?
Slim Goodbody
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:30 AM       
You would call it the Legacy of Kain of course. Which you can do even if "Legacy of Kain" is not in the title of Blood Omen 2. Because no one enjoyed it enough to notice it was a game.
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM       
Beat it shortly after getting it for christmas (XBox), and I am speachless. These games probably have the storyline I like the most out of any series. They still make sure to connect parts of the senior game in this one, even as far back as Blood Omen. I was estatic to see my favorite old spells that kain worked with back then making an appearance once again.

This game is yet another example of how american games have the best voice acting. Even though the monologs were a bit long-winded at points, the conversations had a "party mix" of dialects in use, they were very enjoyable and made the game that much better.

Game play just keeps getting better with this series. I would appreciate a little more secrets to be found, but it was still a huge improvement to Soul Reaver 2. I am a big fan of the Resident Evil type gameplay, so I actually thought the fixed camera worked better than Soul Reaver's traditional third-person.

And after finally seeing the mysterious missing Sarafan brother (I felt a little cheated when I realised the count didn't add up in the first SR), I know what Dr. Boogie's sig means.

I think it is definetly worth buying, but then again I am a enormous fan of the series. Still, everyne should play this game through at least once.
Retro Man is probably a spambot
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345
And after finally seeing the mysterious missing Sarafan brother (I felt a little cheated when I realised the count didn't add up in the first SR), I know what Dr. Boogie's sig means.

I think it is definetly worth buying, but then again I am a enormous fan of the series. Still, everyne should play this game through at least once.
DUDE! YOU FUCKING SPOILED IT!

NOW I MUST HUNT YOU DOWN FOR SPORT AND TO SATISFY MY INSATIABLE BLOODLUST.

fuck.. i don't know where you live...

i'll try to forget what you said so that when i do end up playing it It'll be cool for me... ah hell, who am I kidding? I've almost forgotten it already.

"To get laid, where the hell you going"???