Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Do I suck?
Yes 1 33.33%
Yes - a whole fucking lot. Erase your Photoshop and break your pencils! 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Sketch33 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 10:56 PM        And the last one for tonight.

And this is the last one for the night. All this sucking is getting me down. Thank heavens I have you guys here to put me in my place! You rock!

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:11 PM       
This one is actually good.

Can't say the same for the others you chose to litter the forum with, though.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:14 PM       
Really? I thought they all sucked. Oh well, it's not like they are draining bandwidth from i-mockery. The other two are unfinished sketches, but I liked them. Usually I like to see other people's unfinished sketches rather than their final work (or in addition to). It gives me an idea of how they work. How come you didn't vote?
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:23 AM       
WHAT ARE YOU DOING CHOJIN YOU CAN'T PRAISE HIM WITHOUT QUALIFICATION! SHOW A PICTURE!

Stop being such a fucking baby Sketch.

If I had posted a picture in this thread to qualify me, I would've told you that it is a nice picture, though the hand and the spikes on the bracer could use refinement.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:05 AM       
Mr. Adventure: Yeah, the hand is a bit weak, and the bracer doesn't roll around the forearm very well. I'm okay with the spikes though.

I made this pic back before I had Photoshop (around the same time that I sketched Demonette, which I didn't color in PS until a couple years later) and had refined my process of finishing a pic. I used to start with a non-photo blue pencil line sketch, then move straight to inking the lines.

The problem I've found with that is I don't really give the sketch awhile to sit and I miss basic construction errors. Another thing I used to do was make changes to the sketch in ink rather than pencil. Hard to go back from that. then, in the case of this pic, after the inking I finished it up with colored pencils.

Now, I still sketch in non-photo blue, then set it aside for a few days. After a suitable time I come back, look it over, if I like it I then ink it and scan it into the computer as a high res grayscale image. I adjust the contrast of the scan to eliminate any stray pencil lines until only the thin ink lines remain. I then use a combination of the shape tools and the pen tools to trace out the black lines, giving them more depth and variation in thickness than I can with my pen. All of these new lines are on a vector layer, so if later decide to scale the pic up or down the lines won't blur. If any other layers I have added have any effects (not filters) applied to them, I pay attention to the percentage I am altering the image by, and afterward, scale the effects appropriately.

If I want a more graphic look to the image I continue to use vector layers with color chosen per layer and then the final image is totally scalable (my avitar, for example) Although only the PSD is scalable without loss. Once it's a jpg, it's all raster.

If I want more of an airbrushed look, I make new layers and brush them accordingly.

I haven't actually just sat down and drawn anything with traditional tools from start to finish in a few years. I just like the speed of the computer and the flexibility it offers if you want to play without risking something you've worked for hours on. It's very liberating, creatively.

As far as your having to post a picture before you critique, you were all right. If I really want to see what you can do, I'll look around. I shouldn't judge you by one pic. If you would like to guide me to anything you are particularly proud of though, it would be appreciated. Even if you could just name a forum and topic, that would be great.

Oh, and I did see Les' comment about now owning me, but since I told McClain that I wouldn't post in his thread anymore, I haven't been able to respond to that there. Please, pass this on to him if you see him: If that simpering bitch thinks he owns me, why doesn't he mince his ass on over here and try to assert himself. And pay my rent.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:26 AM       
I would comment, but I'm not qualified apparently. But to be honest, it's not too bad. I hate colored pencil as a medium, though. I just don't like how it looks most of the time.

Not your fault though, so please please PLEASE don't go on a rant about how you don't always use colored pencil, and you know how to use it better than me because I apparently suck and whatnot, and my opinion doesn't matter because I don't have a job at the moment.

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM       
why does his club come equipped with a golf tee?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:43 PM       
Jamesman: No rant. Colored pencils can be tricky to use effectively. You have to use a light touch, color in layers, and don't use cheap waxy pencils. I tried to learn watercolors at one point, but it's real easy to mess up a water color painting.

Chojin: It's because he's a Scottish Orc who just finished swinging too hard on the eighteenth hole, embedding the tee in his club and sending his ball over the clubhouse. He was winning by two strokes at that point, which is why he is so pissed off.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:32 PM       
I can't help but think, "Ba Ba Booey."
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM       
Ba Ba Booey? What does that mean? Please, educate me.

Tree is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:44 AM       
Ba Ba Booey:
Nickname that Howard Stern gave to Gary his producer. Gary has HUGE teeth and resembles that 'ogre' picture.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM       
Thanks Tree.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:11 PM       
i hate you
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 12:48 PM       
I know. I hate you too.

Tree is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM       
If the hate is for me, I feel honored. 2 down, a lot to go!
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:08 PM       

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
i don't actually hate you

lol
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:47 PM       
I don't hate you Tree. Did you want me to?
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 07:12 PM       
SILENCE FOOLS! WITHOUT HATE THERE IS NO balance!