Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:14 PM        Alan Keyes may challenge Barack Obama for Senate seat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...386490,00.html

2 Black Candidates Vie to Challenge Obama

Wednesday August 4, 2004 9:01 PM

By MAURA KELLY LANNAN

Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) - After weeks of searching for a U.S. Senate candidate, Illinois Republicans have narrowed their choice to two black politicians, a development that all but assures Illinois will produce the fifth black U.S. senator in history.

State party chairwoman Judy Baar Topinka said Republican leaders would interview Alan Keyes, a two-time presidential candidate, and Andrea Grubb Barthwell, a former deputy drug czar in the Bush administration, on Wednesday and then choose one to take on Barack Obama, a black state senator from Chicago and Democratic rising star.

Their choice would set up the first U.S. Senate election with two black candidates representing the major parties. Only four blacks have ever served in the U.S. Senate - and only two since Reconstruction: Edward W. Brooke of Massachusetts and Carol Moseley Braun of Illinois.

GOP leaders picked Keyes and Barthwell after a daylong meeting Tuesday where they met with an eclectic group of more than a dozen potential candidates and settled on the ones they thought could best articulate the issues.

Republicans, who have struggled to find a replacement candidate since Jack Ryan dropped out over embarrassing sex-club allegations in his divorce records, said race wasn't their motivating factor in choosing Keyes and Barthwell.

``These two were selected because of their strengths, not because of their color,'' said state Sen. Dave Syverson, a member of the Republican State Central Committee. ``Voters are smarter than that. That clearly wasn't the intent.''

Neither candidate has deep political ties in Illinois. Keyes has never lived in the state and ran unsuccessfully for U.S. Senate twice from his home state of Maryland. He sought the presidential nomination in 1996 and 2000, and worked in the State Department for several years.

Under state law, Keyes would only have to take up residence by Election Day.

Barthwell, a physician from suburban Chicago, was deputy director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy from 2002 until last month, when she quit to explore the Senate run.

Syverson said Keyes did not want to talk to reporters Tuesday night, and he could not immediately be reached for comment.

Barthwell said she did not think the committee made her a finalist because she is black.

``I don't think that this committee is playing any kind of race card here,'' she said. ``I think they have looked at the candidates and the strengths they can bring to it and how they position themselves on the issues.''

The candidates have sharply different political views.

Keyes opposes abortion and gay rights, wants to replace the income tax with a national sales tax, and calls affirmative action a ``government patronage program.'' Barthwell, a medical doctor, has a history of supporting Democratic politicians and has publicly opposed marijuana for medical uses in her role as deputy drug czar, but her positions on other key issues are largely unknown.

Republicans have suffered a string of disappointments since Ryan dropped his Senate bid. Party leaders repeatedly tried and failed to enlist a big-name candidate to run for the seat of retiring GOP Sen. Peter Fitzgerald - former governors, state senators and Chicago Bears great Mike Ditka have all declined.

Whoever is chosen now will have just three months to raise cash and campaign against Obama, who has captured national media attention, raised more than $10 million, and gave the keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004
Mocker
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:28 PM       
Side note: Apparently, Keyes pursued the NY Libertarian Party's endorsement in 2000 so he could run against Hillary Clinton.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM       
they also tried to get Mike Ditka to run against him.

It was really funny how fox was trying to build it up
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:18 AM       
Like a woman who's middle name is Grubb could win anything.

And Alan Keyes? Isn't he... you know... crazy?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM       

My team made a functional Obameter and hooked it up to a guy's car.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:36 PM       
how did you have the foresight to make it in 1959?
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM       
According to a local radio DJ (disc jockey, not tanner), mike ditka's wife couldn't let him.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:16 AM       
What makes you think Alan Keyes is crazy, Max?
Mocker
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:15 AM       
People like you support him.
Mocker
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:39 AM       
wow look at all the conservatives who calle Hilary Clinton a carpetbagger shutting up all of a sudden..
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM       
Hillary Clinton is a carpet bagging, unqualified, lying bitch.
Mocker
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:09 PM       
damn..
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM       
Hmm... didn't Keyes publicly denounce Hillary's actions in 2000? I laugh at his silly black, carpet-bagging ass.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:58 AM       
It took him that long to realize Hitler did bad things?

edit: wow, I read "Hillary" as "Hitler". Somewhere, Vince is laughing.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:02 AM       
"Hmm... didn't Keyes publicly denounce Hillary's actions in 2000? I laugh at his silly black, carpet-bagging ass." - Chimp

Actually, no he didn't....
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM       
"What makes you think Alan Keyes is crazy, Max?"

Running against Barak Obama with less than three months to go for a regional position in a region he isn't from and allowing them to pick him because he's Republican, Willing and coincidentally black?

He has a link to Newsmax on his website?

"In its simplest form, evolution represents the view that the ordering principle of reality is "the survival of the fittest," or that outcomes validate themselves simply by occurring. So if there is any standard at all, that standard is simply "what works." Whether you want to call it survival, dominance or superiority, the standard is simply "what works."

-Alan Keyes, 'simplifying' the concept of evolution all the way back to darwin, as if no science had taken place since then and 'survival of the fittest' were still a theory that held sway with anyone besides free market true believers.

"A strong case can be made, therefore, that it is a fundamental DUTY of the free citizen to keep and bear arms."
-Alan Keyes, toying with the argument that I should be required to have a gun.

"Do they ever ask us before they raise taxes? "
Alan Keyes, pretending he doesn't know what representative government is.

" I oppose this whole Affirmative Action business."
-Alan Keyes prior to accepting the Republican invitation to run against Obama.

"when you tell me that somebody’s skin color or gender is going to determine their prospects in this world, that is turning the clock back hundreds of years."
-ibid

"Preferential affirmative action patronizes American blacks"
-ibid

I guess none of those things means he's literally crazy. If you want to posit instead that he's deliberately intellectually dishonest for political gain on fairly massive scale, I'll be happy to call him a liar instead of crazy.

And say, Nalds, Don't you think Barak Obama is just the kind of Black leader you were only a few months ago claiming didn't exist? You know, back when you wwere passing yourself off as being Black?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
Actually, no he didn't....
"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it."
- Alan Keyes, March 17, 2000 on FOX News

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/05/thurs/
Mocker
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM       
Checkmate.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM       
See, now, what he meant was he wouldn't carpetbag abd then not represent someplace, the way Hillary would. He'd REPRESENT after carpetbagging.

Thanks, Chimp, I was looking for that quote. They plaid the tape of it on the daily show last night.