Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:48 PM       
I have a 15 year old cousin with Asperger's; he couldn't cope with people at all until one day when he was in like eighth grade someone explained to him why he had problems. He was smart enough to teach himself to think about how he's supposed to act in social situations rather than relying on his poor instincts, and the result is that he doesn't seem any different than your average smart high school geek now.

And I have a classmate with Asperger's who got by with special attention all his life until he got to college and now he's turned into a dick because he thinks he can get away with whatever he wants.

Just thought I'd share.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:43 PM       
Solution: gene therapy

I think, despite what most Americans would say, intelligence and ambition are simply not valued enough. Most parents don't emphasize education enough because that kind of culture does not exist here. Too many mixed messages, not enough focus. We admire entertainment figures, etc., other mediocrities when we should be admiring those who are intellectually great. Resolve this and the problem of public education will go a long way towards fixing itself I think.

Obviously, I do not mean this to be the panacea - there are many problems including the unequal quality of public schools, etc. that need to be resolved.

Being a child of asian parents, that kind of stuff was hammered down hard. Although, I would say that I didn't really start doing well in school (by my standards) until after my parents started laying off on the pressure (during 10th grade).

I would do a few things differently if I have a kid. Creativity must be emphasized - art, music classes, and a steady diet of film/art gallery/architecture/concert exposure. Also, I'd instill in her or him an aspiration for greatness - she or he should settle for nothing less than being a Feynman or a Huntington or a Stiglitz. I wouldn't make it too explicit, as I don't think that is necessary - lead by example. I would also read to him or her a steady diet of physics, Joyce, New England Journal of Medicine, Foriegn Affairs, Carnap, etc. etc. I think trying to make the kid enthusiastic about learning is the key. Unfortunately the most interesting things are not learned until college or afterwards, so it would be my aim to introduce these interesting things a little earlier, dumbed down of course.

MEATMAN is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
I have a 15 year old cousin with Asperger's; he couldn't cope with people at all until one day when he was in like eighth grade someone explained to him why he had problems. He was smart enough to teach himself to think about how he's supposed to act in social situations rather than relying on his poor instincts, and the result is that he doesn't seem any different than your average smart high school geek now.

And I have a classmate with Asperger's who got by with special attention all his life until he got to college and now he's turned into a dick because he thinks he can get away with whatever he wants.

Just thought I'd share.
Your cousin was different from me.

And your classmate probably would've been a dick anyway. I refuse special attention, as I insist to be treated like anyone else.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:45 PM       
you are assuming that what is true for you is true for everyone. Everyone is different and a solution requires something that will be effective for a majority of kids. There will always be exceptions as people are different.