Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM        Purchasing a computer help...
I'm gonna need to buy a new computer soon (well a separate one that I can do video/music editing on for my short films). Anyway, what I want to know is this:

Should I just buy a name brand computer? If yes, what brands are the best (and most affordable). CC sells Sony and HP, but I don't know much about those brands. If no, then where can I get a custom computer built for me with good parts (since I can't build one on my own without screwing something up I'm sure).

I'm trying not to spend too much cash on the thing, preferably within 800 bux. But I definitely need a good video card, a decent sized hard drive for those big video files, a speedy processor, and plenty o' ram.

Any help would be appreciated.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM       
Brands arent the defining facrot in a computer. Its usially all about the hardware. Anything with a 2.66ghz processor, 512MB RAM, and a hard drive over 10GB is almost guarenteed to kick ass
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:30 PM       
If you're editing video, 10 GB won't be nearly enough. I get by with 120 gig, but feature length projects are easier to work with if you get even more than that. 512 RAM is minimum unless you want to spend a lot of time rendering (REALLY tests your nerves if you're tweaking advanced effects and filters). If you're going to buy a finished package, I recommend you get one with a DVD burner.

Software-wise, Adobe Premiere Pro is the best video editor for PC if learning curve is a factor. AVID is actually pretty overrated. My personal favourite is Final Cut, but that's Mac only
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:37 PM       
There are definetly some dells in your price range too, but not with specs that are gonna blow you away(crappy video) this is probaly gonna be the same with most prebuilts.

I would build one personally. They are pretty damn easy to put together these days and there are much less problems than in the old days, plus you dont pay for the support and os(if you are a cheat). Plus you end up spending alot on a system with a good video card, unless you add your own.

My belief is that with the internet as a resource and if you purchase from a place that has a reasonable return policy you cant go wrong especially if you arent afraid to reinstall windows. It will be harder to get parts replaced, but each component still has a warranty.

i can put down some sample systems in your budget if you want, when i get back from work.

I would at least consider it as an option. for a prebuilt system i would go 2.8 ghz min (or amd equivilent), not celeron. and probaly 1gig memory, no less than 512. For video i would get at least an ati 9800(not se) of course with video editing size is good. 120-160s would be the min.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM       
Wanna build it for me, whoreable?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM       
I built mine :/ it was easy... Bought an ASUS mother board from friend and then I purchased a soundcard/Video Card and A chip (bought a cheaper Celeron chip)...My friend gave me the Box and power unit...I think in total it was less than $400 Canadian and that is cheap... My computer is pretty fast and so far hasn't crashed.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 04:56 PM       
see? even fartinmowler can do it!

Actually i would build one, but shipping costs wouldnt be worth it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM       
Building your own is definitely the way to go if you're looking for power. There isn't really much you can screw up, either, unless you drop it or spill Coke all over everything. Many of the computer parts stores around here absolutely insist that THEY be the ones to install the RAM and plug in the CPU, and they do it for free.

Those were the only two things that you could really break something with, and the new CPU fans are notoriously fiendish.

As for all the other parts, the main rule when building a computer nowadays is "if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go there."
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:31 PM       
i can get parts and one built from the new guy St8ic
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM       
virtualdub is an okay video editing program for the price
Pickled Patriarch
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Building your own is definitely the way to go if you're looking for power. There isn't really much you can screw up, either, unless you drop it or spill Coke all over everything. Many of the computer parts stores around here absolutely insist that THEY be the ones to install the RAM and plug in the CPU, and they do it for free.
Heh, I'll have to get someone else to build it because I'm sure I'd still manage to fuck it up. aranoid
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM       
That's what I did.

If you DO buy a finished PC, don't even think about geeting a Compaq.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM       
I have one. Took one year for the thing to start smoking now it constantly grins for no reason.

But me and st8ic can get 3.2ghz, with 120gb RAM, and possibly a radeon of sorts for under $600

St8ic is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:58 PM       
Well aren't we getting ahead of our selves? that's alot to expect from $600. But yes, I do have access to wholesale prices. You'll save quite a bit this way. Just tell us some minimum specs and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:25 PM       
Hey, Arrow X your friend sounds like a fag.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM       

Let's build a computer for Rog and mail it to the US. It will cost him triple of what he would have paid for something local.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:14 PM       
Send him a case of real beer and he will forget why he wanted a computer.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:02 PM       
i wish i had a computer w/ 120 gigs of ram

St8ic is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartinfaggot
Hey, Arrow X your friend sounds like a fag.
Trust me when I say that you don't know the half of it. But it's still nothing compared to what you have come to expect from ArrowX.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:46 PM       
Shut up fartin you have a wife meaning you cant go out and have meaningless sex with many an ilustrious women without feeling morally guilty and hoing to hell.
JeefGyle is probably a spambot
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:10 PM       
If this computer is going to be specifically for video editing. I'd actually recommend getting a mac. That's what we used in my TV production class, and they are actually pretty sweet for that. I believe you could get a single processor G4 for around a grand.
OH GOD
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:43 PM       
macs are good i guess but expensive

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:45 AM       
Thats why they suck, there hard to upgrade (if at all possible, depending on the upgrade) theres no gaming (well not that much of it anyway) takes forever for them to port over a pc title, if it even makes it.... and the prices are WAY higher , and you cant build your own. why the hell would anyone want one of these things? that video editing capabilities that there great for has made it to the pc in the last couple years, and the pc processor speeds combined with the newer video cards out there now totaly blow macs away. but thay still have a tight knit following instep with there "god" steve jobs, that they would most certainly beg to differ... if i go any further with this your gonna have to open up a "pc vs. mac" forum....
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:39 AM       
Is St8ic Arrowx?
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:48 AM       
no, and i meant 120 GB hard drive space possibly 512mg RAM s we can get it.