Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:58 AM        Internet connection dropouts
In my setup I have a comcast cable modem, plugged into a 1-port Linksys Cable/DSL router, plugged into an 8-port D-Link switch. This problem has happened with other cable modems and the hub that was previously in place of the switch.

Basically, I'll be doing fine on the internet for a while, then I'll just lose it. The network itself remains up, but no internet. Unplugging the router for a few seconds and plugging it back in restores internet for a short period of time (about 20 minutes) before it drops out again. If I cycle the power on all three items, the internet connection lasts for a few hours.

Aside from replacing the piece of shit router, is there anything I can do? Any ideas as to why the router might be doing this? The only way I can MAKE the router fuck up like this is when I was running a mIRC GUI that would automatically set up downloads and such; Running that results in router death in about 20 seconds.

I eagerly await raize's hardcore reply, so I can delete it.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:04 AM       
okay actually something just occured to me. The router has vents on the top of it, but it's been sitting under the switch, which gets kinda hot on its own. So I've juxtaposed them and hopefully the router can breathe better now and it won't be gay.

I'll let you know when it undoubedly breaks again to piss me off.

And raize wears womens' shoes.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM       
This kept happening to the router that I used to have. It was a Linksys BEFSR1 (I forget the exact model number, but it was the first model of that little purple box thing). It lasted for about five years before it started to just cut out on me.

It was really annoying, too, especially for long downloads. It would be fine for days, and then it would stop. I'd unplug the power, wait, plug it back in, and everything would work for about an hour and then it'd die again. Unplug again and then it would work for another couple of days.

I finally got pissed off enough to just go out and buy a new router.

I never figured out what was causing it; I asked some guys at school who know more about networking than me, and they said that there's no reason why it should be doing that. It's either something that's going on with the external network that makes it crash, or the router itself is dying. It was really dusty, so that could have been the problem. :/

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:22 AM       
It's still being gay, so it wasn't overheating.

Linksys sucks ;<

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 05:45 AM       
In my experience routers are a nightmare. I have one sitting next to me right now that plain and simple won't work.

Once I'm moving over to the new house I'm just going to get a multi-PC modem or whatever the fuck it's called to split the connection to me and my dad.
Resident Chimp
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:39 AM       
I recommend checking your router for evidence of sour milk.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:02 AM       
can you still connect to the router when your internet connection goes down? (192.168.1.1 for most linksys), if you can check the status page and see if you have an ip address on the wan. try to release and renew, see if that works.

also upgrade the firmware.
Resident Chimp
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:29 AM       
Yeah, upgrade the firmwar e and the problem might be fixed. I couldn't do that on our old router, though, because the first model didn't have that feature.

I was still able to connect to the router whenever the external connection died. Everything on the LAN worked, too.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:30 AM       
what's the exact router model? if it has an option for UPnP, try disabling it. also, does it have an option for "WAN port speed"? have you tried factory resetting it?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:34 AM       
heh thats right you work for linksys dont you? how that going?
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:16 PM       
actually not linksys, one of their competitors... but all in all not too bad i guess, i'm a 'manager' now so no phones for me unless someone wants to speak to a manager and complain... i'm going to uni part time too though so i have no life now unlike before i was a wild one untamed let me tell ya am i right

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
what's the exact router model?
Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
BEFSR11

Quote:
if it has an option for UPnP, try disabling it. also, does it have an option for "WAN port speed"?
If it does, I don't see it :<

Quote:
have you tried factory resetting it?
No, but I'll give that a whirl next time it craps out on me. I believe it's using firmware that is at most 1.5 years old, as that's around the last time I updated it.