Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:14 PM        Web hosting
This thread used to be called "Absolutely Free Web Domain" but now I'm actually going to pay for hosting because I'm rich now j/k. Anyway don't read the rest of this thread scroll all the way down ok.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:21 PM       
I wish there were services like that, but there aren't. What you can do is get your site hosted by one of your friends(like im doing with my sites). Then you can get them to give you a subdomain, like yoursite.theirsite.com And that's about the most you can do for free.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:00 AM       
http://www.24by7data.com

This one looks too good to be true. There's got to be some catch that I'm overlooking here.

kitatsdiuqil
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM       
I didn't find any signs of a scam. But if it's all that for free, they'll most likely go into debt soon and have to shut down all sites hosted by them. :/
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:34 AM       
Do what I did: First, make a friend that works for a webhosting company. Then, have a fan offer you webspace out of their basement-bedroom for free. After a couple years, when he can't host your site anymore, ask your friend that works for the webhosting company to host the site and give you a domain for free. Have him agree.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM       
Andrew Chiong

http://members.freewebs.com/

Here's another one that looks good.

kitatsdiuqil
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM       
I used to use them. They're not too bad, although they cant host your domain if you bought one.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM       
What does that mean?

kitatsdiuqil
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM       
You can't have a .com url if they host you. You have to have a freewebs.com/yoursite/ url
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM       
Fuck.

This sucks. I don't even want hosting. I just want something as fucking lame as www.esuohlim.com that just redirects to my GeoCities page.

mowler is probably a spambot
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM       
mY old dialup gave me free hosting and now that I have medium speed cable they don't give me anything (that's fucked up).
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM       
There are plenty of redirection services, but they've all turned lame in the last few years. They were all blah.company.com, though.

Any free domain name service will insist on putting ads on your site, guaranteed. They will also be really gay about everything and tear your balls off if you decide that you actually want to buy the name (NameZero did that). They can also KEEP the domain name for as long as they want.

It's a bad idea to use them. Getting an actual domain name is only $15-20/year if you can't trick someone into giving you one for free.
Oh God
Gurlugon is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:01 AM       
.TK is good, but it adds a pop-up window to the page you link to. :/

Example: www.gurlugon.tk

EDIT: Yeah, well, it's not .com, but it works. It also refers you to search engines (up to 8 keywords you specify).
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM       
My site used to be .tk, and then you could have the pop-ups removed. Things may have changed since then, though.

Raize is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM       
I own a site on a paid host, and I've been happy with what I've got, but I gotta be honest with you.

YOU'RE A FUCKING FREELOADER.

Get over thinking you're going to get a .com domain for free. It costs money to register one, even for the guys that reserve them. They have to use actual money to do it. Amazing, hunh?

The cheapest you're probably going to find is 8 bucks a year, and they won't even host your DNS. And I've got a great free DNS provider, but fuck you if you think I'm going to share the info with you.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:52 PM       
OMG OMG TELL ME PLZ
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanker
YOU'RE A FUCKING FREELOADER.
All the great people are freeloaders.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:37 PM       
THE LIGHT HAS BEEN SHED ON THE SITUATION NOT A MOMENT TOO LATE, AND IT'S ALL THANKS TO RAIZE

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM       
OK I've decided to pay for hosting now. The bare minimum of what I want is a package that includes: A www.yournamehere.com domain, no ads, and somewhere around 15 MB of space or more.

If you could, help me find a reliable web hosting service like this and for relatively cheap. I've seen some that are about $5/mo, but I don't really want to spend 60 dollars a year. If it comes down to it I might, but right now I want to see if I have other options. :/

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM       
My recommendation:

Get a domain name at GoDaddy (http://www.godaddy.com). Their base package is $9 per domain per year.

Get hosting with 100MegsWebHosting through iFroggy (http://www.ifroggyhosting.com). Their starter package is $30 annually or $3 monthly.

So, cheapest I can figure getting a website is $39/year. That might sound expensive until you actually GET A FUCKING JOB OHH OHH I COULD DO THIS TWICE EVERY DAY YOU FUCKER JOB JOB AAH GET ONE GET ONE YOU CUNT
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:20 PM       
So does GoDaddy work as a redirector, then? If so, it's not what I want.

DaxF is probably a spambot
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM       
man the godaddy commercials are h-o-o-t
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM       
QUICK, SOMEBODY POST THE ORLY OWL
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM       
Chojin, I just 1UPed you :greenmushroom

I just payed $9.24 for a year of like 20GB of space and a domain name because SA knew a promo code for http://www.dreamhost.com that made it about 90% off

I only have one year though, then I won't know what to do.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:36 PM       
GoDaddy is domain registration. They don't redirect any more than Network Solutions or any other domain name provider does. I don't even really know what you're asking here.