Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:00 PM        "We are God's sheep." wow, great analogy...
To be called a "sheep" is the typical analogy used in the catholic religion, and it couldn't be any more fitting. To be a sheep, one follows what is required of yourself, never questioning, never having a unique thought in your head, and never breaking the cycle of conformity.

Does this analogy scare anyone else out there? There are too many religions out there that force orthodoxy upon it's followers that it sickens me. You are either a sheep or a damned soul. Does this shepherd analogy disturb any of you as much as it does me?
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:11 PM       
I once had a conversation with a Christian friend of mine and it can be summed up as follows:

Me: I don't want you to beleive everything, or even anything that I believe. I just want you to challenge what others tell you to beleive and actually think for yourself instead of just accepting things.

Him: "I don't want to think" (exact words).

Its easier for most people to live with the comfort that someone else is their intelectual leader. When everything you believe and think is dependent on another person it gives you a sense that you are mentally safe.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:20 PM        yeah
That's why so many people will choose Religions of Traditions.
Religions have rules. Traditions have the ability to change with the changes in society.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:30 PM        Re: yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
So, when Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, if you go for all these fairy tales, that "evil" woman convinced the man to eat the apple, but the apple came from the Tree of Knowledge. And the punishment that was then handed down, the woman gets to bleed and the guy's got to go to work, is the result of a man desiring, because his woman suggested that it would be a good idea, that he get all the knowledge that was supposedly the property and domain of God. So, that right away sets up Christianity as an anti-intellectual religion. You never want to be that smart. If you're a woman, it's going to be running down your leg, and if you're a guy, you're going to be in the salt mines for the rest of your life. So, just be a dumb fuck and you'll all go to heaven. That's the subtext of Christianity.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:19 AM       
lol

Except it was the tree of the Knowledge of Good and evil. Maybe I'm stupid and don't remember my christian teachers.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:10 AM       
Of course, Zappa takes his views and puts them into something he hardly knows shit about. If you ever take him seriously.... just take a look at his children and then change your views pronto.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:31 AM       
I could say almost the same thing about that 'Thomas Sowell' character pronto.

And you as well.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:36 AM       
The best thing about the Sheppard analogy, is that Sheperds tend sheep so they will stay safe and well fed until it's time to slaughter and eat them.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:29 AM       
Yes, I'll look at his children, who are affluent, intelligent, and well adjusted (notice how they're never in the news? that's because they haven't done anything crazy yet), for a good picture at Frank Zappa.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Of course, Zappa takes his views and puts them into something he hardly knows shit about. If you ever take him seriously.... just take a look at his children and then change your views pronto.
Take a look at where the universities started, Vinth. They were often seminaries first, out of reach of the common man. The Catholics loved to keep knowledge from the general public. Take a look at all the early scientists and philosophers that the church accused of heresy and tried (and succeeded in most cases) to excommunicate because their views weren't consistent with those of the church. Take a look at all the pagan religious rites that were absorbed as part of the Catholic religion that the catholic religion would have you believe originated with them. Take a look at how the Catholic religion and, indeed, the Bible has subjugated women from the beginning. In fact, take a look at all of history and do some reading outside the dogma before you start spouting off about how ignorant people are. < rant over >

Wherever you go, there you are.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM       
Awww, did I stwike a nurwve wit you?
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM       
Great comeback
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:34 AM       
'stwike' I get, but 'nurwve'? What's that even supposed to sound like? What speech impediment is that supposed to represent?

My God, can't you even perform the simplest mockery without screwing up?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:52 PM       
VINTH! You wanted to join Mensa right? That means you'll go to hell, because you shouldn't be intelligent because you're a catholic! Quick! Forget how to write!

I seriously hope he takes my advice

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:44 PM        Re: "We are God's sheep." wow, great analogy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
To be called a "sheep" is the typical analogy used in the catholic religion, and it couldn't be any more fitting. To be a sheep, one follows what is required of yourself, never questioning, never having a unique thought in your head, and never breaking the cycle of conformity.

Does this analogy scare anyone else out there? There are too many religions out there that force orthodoxy upon it's followers that it sickens me. You are either a sheep or a damned soul. Does this shepherd analogy disturb any of you as much as it does me?
Probably taken in today's contrast of blindly following without question, then it is in no way a fitting analogy to be called. But the analogy itself isn't supposed to be used like that.

The view of the sheep is two-fold...only seen together in light of the Shepard. You aren't a sheep because you blindly follow and believe everything that the Church accepts as absolute dogma (considering the Church has changed its mind over several years on a few issue), but because you recognize the existance of Jesus as a guiding light and helper in your life. It's a mere simile to the fact that God loves you and is watching over you, like a shepard does to his flock of sheep.

There is no sense of conformity attached to it.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:20 PM       
No sense of conformity? You must belong to a very VERY lenient church, because most people I know that are Catholic do not believe they have much of a choice in the way they are allowed to behave, religiously speaking. Take a look at any of VinceZeb's posts about religion, and you can see right there that there is most certainly a very conformist sect in the Catholic Church.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:34 PM       
"Everybody bow and pray with me."

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
No sense of conformity? You must belong to a very VERY lenient church, because most people I know that are Catholic do not believe they have much of a choice in the way they are allowed to behave, religiously speaking. Take a look at any of VinceZeb's posts about religion, and you can see right there that there is most certainly a very conformist sect in the Catholic Church.
No sense of conformity. We come together to worship as a group. You can "follow" the rules set forth by God, or you don't have to if you don't want to. It's personal choice. Obeying the will of God is hardly something I would deem as conformity. Humility before God is nothing to be ashamed of.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:20 PM       
Unless god doesn't exist.

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:23 PM       
But I don't have to worry about that.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:34 PM       
Lucky you.

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:37 PM       
Indeed sir.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:09 PM       
Quote:
Take a look at where the universities started, Vinth. They were often seminaries first, out of reach of the common man.
Actually, it was quite the opposite. They were open to anyone willing to learn who could make the trip. That was the big divider. The ability to get to the universities.

Quote:
The Catholics loved to keep knowledge from the general public.
Ya, the way guys like Aquinas and Augustine were persecuted for their work.

Quote:
Take a look at all the early scientists and philosophers that the church accused of heresy and tried (and succeeded in most cases) to excommunicate because their views weren't consistent with those of the church.
And look how the Church helped support many artisants during the Rennaisance.

Quote:
Take a look at how the Catholic religion and, indeed, the Bible has subjugated women from the beginning.
Yes, we invented that. And, we don't hold any women in high regard or anything.

Quote:
In fact, take a look at all of history and do some reading outside the dogma before you start spouting off about how ignorant people are.
What is that saying about glass houses?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM       
WTF is up with all the religon bashing on these boards?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:38 PM       
Some people come in and ask rational questions. They have an interest is debating or possibly learning something.

Others come in with an attitude of some kind of intellectual superiority because they got on the "hate religion" bandwagon. They ask questions while calling people "unthinking" and "childish" and then accuse us of being over defensive when we get pissed about it.