Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM        Multicultural Education
In terms of public, K-12 education..

Should multiculturalism permeate the curriculum?
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM       
To be honest, yes. But the modes by which multiculturalism is implemented in schools is often arbitrary and top-down. Because of this dilution, I think a better question to ask would be "Do schools have an obligation to reduce Euro and Americo-centrism within their curricula?"
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM       
What exactly do you mean? My textbooks are multicultural enough. It's not as if they have some sort of shining picture of the West.

It makes sense to learn more about your own culture than foreign ones.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
What exactly do you mean? My textbooks are multicultural enough. It's not as if they have some sort of shining picture of the West.

your a lush. you live on an entire planet if you havent noticed.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM       
Quote:

Too a degree maybe, but most schooling focuses a little too much on our culture. The furthest thing I ever knew about our roots started in the pre-revolutionary days. The only time I ever learned anything about Africa was when I took an elective class dealing specifically African/Mid Eastern/Asian histories. I think they should go more in depth.
Mocker
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM       
Well, all I can say is that your school systems suck ass.

Don't you guys have World History 1 and 2?

You should have learned about ancient Indian civilizations, like the Mayuras and Guptas... the various Chinese civilizations... the Russians... the Japanese... the Native Americans, like the Aztecs... Africa...

Now, granted, when we started getting into the agricultural revolution and industrial revolution, we talk a little bit more about the West. That's not really unfair, though, because more happened in the West during those periods. And once we get into the modern era, we have to talk about the various nations because of greater globalization.

teh_mastar! is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:30 PM       
Quote:

You should have learned about ancient Indian civilizations, like the Mayuras and Guptas... the various Chinese civilizations... the Russians... the Japanese... the Native Americans, like the Aztecs... Africa...
Nope, not in my podunk southern high school. We had a great American History class, but no World History.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:43 PM       
Quote:
Now, granted, when we started getting into the agricultural revolution and industrial revolution, we talk a little bit more about the West. That's not really unfair, though, because more happened in the West during those periods.
Actually, the same number of things happened all across the world. Maybe you mean more things worth studying? Sounds like an awful subjective judgement to me!

Moving on, does anyone have anything to say about this: http://www.hermetic.com/bey/pw-multicul.html?
Level 29 ♂
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:03 PM       
Quote:
Well, all I can say is that your school systems suck ass.

We have it, but only U.S. History, U.S. Civics, and U.S. Economics are required. I have never studied a word about Russia but for outside of school. The only time we even talk about foreign countries at all is when we inevitably go over World Wars I and II every single fucking year since 4th grade. I can guarantee that 70+% of my school couldn't tell the difference between Japan and China, and even fewer could name an African country other than Egypt.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:10 PM       
:/

It seems like the dumbest Canadian is more worldly than the average American.
Level 29 ♂
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:16 PM       
Perhaps I should also mention that my town is probably the most backwater suburb of a large city there ever was. The town is over 97% white, the favored passtime of every single person but me and like four other people is "mudding," and when they're not doing that they're playing "******" where they put bricks in the back of a truck and throw them at black people on the street. If you don't hit them, you have to go get it. God, I hate this place.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:45 PM       
Multiculturalism has a noble intention in that it's designed to combat prejudice. I respect that end of it.

But how do you accomodate everyone? Where do you even find the time in the curriculum? Would emphasizing that everyone is so very different have a more divisive than unifying effect?

At any rate, I do think eurocentric biases should be eliminated, but that's not necessarily the same thing as "multiculturalism."
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:28 PM       
I don't think learning about the Aztecs and the Babylonians or Confucius counts as "multicultural".

So long as the message - diversity- is made, then a multicultural curriculum, in whatever shape or form, is an okay one.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:53 AM       
Quote:
Moving on, does anyone have anything to say about this: http://www.hermetic.com/bey/pw-multicul.html?
Maoist?

I'll read it tommorow.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM       
Quote:
Maoist?

I'll read it tommorow.

Quote:
If you don't hit them, you have to go get it.
Harsh.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov
Quote:
Maoist?
There may be traces of Mao, but there's nothing even remotely authoritarian in there.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
You're talking about American schools like they're all based on the same curriculum. Far from it.
In many states, the state writes the curriculum, but in most (including Massachusetts), the school district writes the curriculum.

The Dennis-Yarmouth District, the one I was "educated" in, actually had a fairly diverse curriculum.
It's the students that were ignorant.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Mocker
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrida
Actually, the same number of things happened all across the world. Maybe you mean more things worth studying? Sounds like an awful subjective judgement to me!
Value statements are inavoidable. Treating things as equal is a value statement in and of itself.

I don't think it is a bad thing to claim that the Industrial Revolution was more important than Joe taking a piss in a river. Both happened in history; only one needs to be learned about.