Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:47 PM       
"catholic atheists everywhere" idiot. How is defense of evolution, string theory, or muslim culture in the interest of any catholic? I know enough Jews that are against the war to say that you don't defend any stance except those of extremist assholes, and it just so happens that you have a Judeo-Israeli flavor.

Two points to consider: I didn't initiate any of the discussions related to Catholicism currently on the board, and I have an established reputation for posts that deal with much more than Catholicism. I'd be posting much less if it weren't for one Catholic that is tarnishing the image of his religion, and one Christian that is making all of Christendom seem to wreak of hypocrisy. You, however, speak in a very narrow-minded and predictable manner simply because that's all you're able to do.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM       
So the Catholic Atheist angle is covered, but who's gonna speak up for the Catholic Buddhists?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:42 PM       
What's string theory?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:45 PM       
Its a physics theory that basically defines everything. I had a professor who kept telling us he was almost on it.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Vibe, you confusing murder with killing. Murder is the slaying of someone unjustly and without reason. God never said we could not kill someone, just not murder. If you kill someone trying to kill you and your family, that is fine. If you go out and shoot someone just because you want his chains, that is murder so that is wrong.
COMMANDMENT #1: THOU SHALT NOT KILL
Ahem... you were saying?
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:57 AM       
I'd have to check, but I think that's closer to number five. In the Exodus version, at least.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:59 AM       
Actually, Skullhead, it's been pretty well agreed upon that the translation of that leaves something to be desired and it originally DOES state "Thou shalt not murder".

Even so, Vibecrew's point still stands. In fact, her entire point HINGES upon the all-too-often arbitrary distinction between "killing" someone and "murdering" them.

But I thought I would clear you up on that before VinceZeb breaks out in hives and uses his explanation of the translation to you as an excuse to avoid the REAL issue being brought up here by Vibe.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:29 AM       
I checked an online translator. There is an old Hebrew word that can work for both "kill" and "murder", which is what was probably used. There is also a word that only means "murder". Perhaps Triple X knows which one is used, but I suspect it's "kill".
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:23 AM       
I also know that only God knows which is which. I don't think it's up to us to decide what is murder and what is killing. Is so called 'collateral damage' murder or killing? God knows, not us. If you shoot a prowler in your home, murder or killing? God's call and you can hope he sides with you, but you don't know. The death penalty? God knows. What if a policeman shoots someone he THOUGHT was armed but wasn't? God knows, not us.

Concidering this, it would be wise to err on the side of caution when taking lives.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
What's string theory?
Early physics/mathematical model of the way the four basic physical forces (electromagnetic, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, gravity) may actually be one unified force. It's just one example of the Unified Force Theory that has neither been proven nor disproven but continues to hold sway over many influential modern physists. Here's a website that explains the basics pretty well:

String Theory

Wherever you go, there you are.